2014 Maryland: Tuition Expenses
To determine the minimum filing requirements for a Maryland return, tuition expenses are not included in the calculation.
Certain Maryland taxpayers, who had tuition expenses on their federal tax return, may have filed an incorrect Maryland tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Maryland state tax return prior to March 6, 2015 AND
- Your federal return included tuition and fees expenses (Form 1040, line 34/ Form 1040A, line 19),
- You had a tax amount on Maryland Form 502, Line 38, Total Maryland Income tax, local income tax and contributions.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 Maryland state return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Maryland: Tuition Expenses.