2014 Kansas: Gambling Losses
In 2014, gambling losses can no longer be claimed as an itemized deduction on a Kansas tax return.
Certain taxpayers, who claimed gambling losses, may have filed an incorrect state tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Kansas tax return prior May 1, 2015 AND
- You claimed gambling losses on your Federal Schedule A AND
- The “yes” box is checked on your Federal Schedule A, line 29 (your deduction may be limited).
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 Kansas return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Kansas: Gambling Losses.