2014 Georgia: Educator Expenses and Tuition & Fees
For tax year 2014, the federal government extended the educator expenses deduction and the tuition & fees deduction on the federal tax return. On March 6, 2015, Georgia announced that it now conforms to the federal law for tax year 2014 and allows these deductions on the Georgia tax return.
Georgia taxpayers, who had certain deductions on their federal tax return, may have filed an incorrect Georgia tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Georgia tax return prior to March 25, 2015 AND
- You had an amount on federal Form 1040, Line 23, Educator expenses AND/OR
- You had an amount on federal Form 1040, Line 34, Tuition and fees AND
- Those amounts were listed as additions to income on Georgia Form 500, Page 4, Schedule 1, line 4.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 Georgia return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Georgia: Educator Expenses and Tuition & Fees.