2014 Pennsylvania: Capital Gain Distributions
Pennsylvania taxes capital gains distributions from mutual funds as taxable dividend income.
Certain Pennsylvania taxpayers, who had capital gain distributions from mutual funds, may have filed an incorrect state return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Pennsylvania tax return prior to March 20, 2015 AND
- You had capital gain distributions reported on a Form 1099-DIV, box 2a AND
- That amount does not appear on Pennsylvania Form PA-40, Line 3, dividend and capital gain distributions
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 Pennsylvania return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Pennsylvania: Capital Gain Distributions.