TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
2 people found this useful

2014 New Jersey: Taxes Paid to Other Jurisdictions

If a New Jersey resident has income from a jurisdiction outside of New Jersey, that income may be subject to tax by both New Jersey and the other jurisdiction. In this case, the taxpayer may be able to claim a credit for the income tax paid to the other jurisdiction.

Certain taxpayers, who paid income taxes on income from another state and who did not pay property taxes on their residence in New Jersey, may have filed an incorrect state tax return.

TurboTax has fixed this issue.

How to tell if you may be impacted

You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your New Jersey tax return prior February 3, 2105 AND
  • You received income from another state for which you paid taxes AND
  • You did not pay any property taxes on your residence, either directly or through the payment of rent AND
  • You do not have an amount on NJ-1040,Page 2, Line 41, credit for income taxes paid to other jurisdictions

If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 New Jersey return.

To amend your return:

  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
  • Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 New Jersey: Taxes Paid to Other Jurisdictions.