2014 Massachusetts: Tax Exempt Interest
As a nonresident of Massachusetts, tax exempt interest is not included in Massachusetts taxable income.
Certain taxpayers, who were nonresidents of Massachusetts and received tax exempt interest, may have filed an incorrect Massachusetts tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Massachusetts Nonresident tax return prior to February 26, 2015 AND
- You reported tax exempt interest on your federal return AND
- That amount is included on Massachusetts Form 1-NR/PY, Page 3, Line 24.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 Massachusetts return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Massachusetts: Tax Exempt Interest.