2014 Maine: Tuition and Fees Deduction
Maine does not allow a deduction for tuition and fees that may be included with the federal tax return. Maine adds back the federal tuition and fees deduction to its adjusted gross income.
Certain taxpayers, who had a federal tuition and fees deduction, may not have filed a correct Maine state tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Maine state tax return prior May 8, 2015 AND
- You had an amount on Form 1040A, Line 19 Tuition and Fees AND
- You did not have that amount on Maine Schedule 1, Line 1h, Other
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 Maine return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 Maine: Tuition and Fees Deduction.