2014 California: Armed Forces Reservist Travel Expenses
Armed Forces reservists, who must travel more than 100 miles away from home to fulfill their service commitments, are allowed an adjustment to income for their unreimbursed travel expenses. California has a similar income adjustment.
Certain California taxpayers, who had an adjustment on their federal form for reservist travel expenses, may have an incorrect California return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your California state tax return prior to 03/13/15 AND
- Your federal form 1040, line 24 included an amount for reservist travel expenses AND
- Your California tax return did not include this reservist travel expense amount.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your 2014 California return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax Online product.
- Follow these amend instructions for the TurboTax CD Download product.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2014 California: Armed Forces Reservist Travel Expenses