Where do I enter a 1099-MISC?
Whether your 1099-MISC is for self-employment, rent, royalties, a lawsuit settlement, fishing, or any other reason, enter it on the 1099-MISC screen. While in your return, follow these steps:
- Type “1099-misc” in the Search box.
- Select Find (magnifying glass).
- Choose the “Jump to” link.
1099-MISC Summary Screen
Any time you want to review, edit, delete or add 1099-MISC forms, use the above steps to access the 1099-MISC Summary screen where you’ll find all your 1099-MISC forms.
After you enter your 1099-MISC and answer a few questions, we’ll determine the type of income you received and link your 1099-MISC to the correct income section.
Review Income Sections
If your 1099-MISC was for any of the following, review the related income section to provide:
- Self-Employment (Schedule C): details on your work, add cash or 1099-K income, and enter expenses
- Rental Properties and Royalties (Schedule E): details about your rentals and enter expenses
- Farm Income and Farm Rental: details about your farm, addition income and expenses
If you don’t see the income section you need, look for the option to “see all income” or “explore on my own”.
Additional 1099-MISC Help
- Boxes 1 and 2 missing from your 1099-MISC screen—go back to the main 1099-MISC screen using above steps.
- Want to enter self-employment expenses—Type “Schedule C” in the Search box and select “Jump to” link.
- Trying to enter a 1099-MISC in the mobile app—follow this link for instructions.
- Looking for steps to create and file a 1099-MISC for a contractor—use Quick Employer Forms.