Did I itemize last year?
Here's how you can tell which deduction you took on last year's federal tax return:
- If you filed Form 1040-A or 1040-EZ last year, you took the standard deduction.
- If the amount on Line 40 of last year's Form 1040 ends with a number other than 0, you itemized.
- If this amount does end with 0, it's likely you took the standard deduction (about 2/3 of all taxpayers do).
- If this amount ends with 00 or 50, you probably took the standard deduction.
- If your return included Schedule A, you itemized.