TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
2158 people found this useful

Can I still itemize my deductions?

When you finish going through the Deductions & Credits section, we'll automatically give you the deduction, standard or itemized, that gives you the best outcome on your federal taxes. Our estimate is that nearly 90% of federal tax filers will be better off taking the higher standard deduction this year, up from an estimated 70% last year.

But if you still want to switch to the itemized deduction, you can do that too. Simply follow the instructions in this FAQ.

With state returns, things are a little different. Some states, like Illinois and Massachusetts, don't have itemized deductions, while others, like New York, require that you choose the same deduction you took on your federal return. When you get to your state return, we'll let you know what’s available according to your state's tax laws.

GEN85658
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L4Nu958zX_US_en_US