TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
501 people found this useful

How do I amend a prior-year state return?

Amending a 2015, 2014, or 2013 state return is similar to amending a prior-year federal return, with these caveats:

  • Even if you're not amending the federal, you'll still need to download and install the same-year federal software, as the state program cannot function independently.
  • You'll need to download and install the appropriate prior-year state software.  
    • For example, to amend your 2015 California return, you'll need the 2015 TurboTax California State software.
  • If the change originates on the federal return, amend the federal return before amending the state. This allows the change to "flow" over to the state.
  • For state-only amendments, make sure the change doesn't affect the federal (for example, an amendment involving a renter's credit).
  • TurboTax State programs vary in amendment instructions, but you'll either find the amendment option at the beginning of the state interview or close to the end.

For complete instructions, including how to obtain the necessary prior-year software, simply follow the directions in the Related Information section.