E-file rejection error F2439-502-01: "Form 2439 Identification number of RIC or REIT must match"
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with F2439-502-01: Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains, Identification number of RIC or REIT must match data in the IRS e-File database.
This rejection occurs when Regulated Investment Company (RIC) or Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) number doesn't match IRS records.
- Open your return in TurboTax.
- In TurboTax, search for 2439 and then click the Jump to 2439 link in the search results.
- On the 2439 summary screen, click Edit next to each 2439 income item on the return and make sure the RIC or REIT ID number exactly matches what's on your 2439 form.
- If the number is wrong, correct it and then re-file your return.
- Otherwise, if you verified that the info you entered is correct, proceed to Other Options, below.
If you were unable to resolve your issue with the recommended solution above, here are your options:
- Contact the investment company or trust to verify that their RIC or REIT number on the 2439 they sent you is correct.
- If your 2439 is incorrect, correct the information in TurboTax and re-file your return.
- Or, paper-file your return. The IRS won't let you e-file a return if the Federal ID doesn't match what's in their database.