TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
89 people found this useful

How do I enter CA Form 593 real estate withholding?

When entering you California real estate holding, it has to be entered on both the state and the federal return.

First enter in your state return by stepping through the screens until if asks for Any Real Estate or other withholding forms. Answer the questions to enter your information.

Then go back to your federal return to enter the information.

1. Select Federal Taxes and Deductions and Credits.
  2. On the next screen, select I'll choose what I work on.
  3. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, and click Start/Update next to Other Income Taxes.
  4. On the next screen check Start/Update next to Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099.
  5. Enter your real estate withholding information, and click Continue when finished.
  6. Return to your California state return, going through to the end to the very last screen. Enter the real estate withholding information again.

The withholding information should show up on your CA state return on Form 540 line 73 for real estate withholding, and not on line 71 as income tax withholding.

IAS10876