Why does my return say "Preview Only"?
When you open or attempt to print or save your PDF copy, you may notice a Preview Only watermark stamped across it.
This typically occurs if you open the PDF while your return is still pending. It can also happen if you open the PDF shortly after your return has been accepted.
Preview Only watermarks can also occur on prior-year PDF copies, but will only cause problems if you're trying to paper-file the PDF. In that case, you will need to contact us for assistance.
The easiest solution is to wait 3-4 hours after your return has been accepted before opening your PDF.
Here's another option that reportedly works, according to many of our customers:
- Sign in to TurboTax, if you're not already signed in.
- Click Taxes in the upper left area (under the TurboTax logo).
- In your Tax Timeline, click Add a state in the SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section.
- Don't worry, you're not adding a state; this just opens your return back up.
- Once you're back in your return, select Print Center from the My Account drop-down in the upper right corner.
- Select Print, save, or preview this year's return and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When finished, sign out.