Where do I enter my exemption number or ECN?
If anyone in your household didn't have health insurance in 2016 and has an exemption number (ECN), follow these steps:
- Select the orange button Take me to my return (or continue your return if using a CD/download version).
- Select the Health Insurance section in the Federal Taxes tab.
- When asked if you had health insurance in 2016, select the option that applies to you, and Continue.
- If you had insurance part of the year, select the months you had insurance and Continue.
- On the Did you have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? screen, scroll down to Applied for an exemption, and select Got an exemption certificate number from the Marketplace and Continue.
- On the Let's get your exemption certificate number (ECN) screen, enter the requested exemption information and Continue.