How do I file Form 8965 for the health coverage exemption?
Form 8965 is generated when you answer certain questions in the Health Insurance section. We'll automatically fill it out (including the exemption code) if anybody on your return didn't have health insurance coverage for the entire year.
Here's how to get to the form in TurboTax:
- Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
- Search for 8965 and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- At the question Did you have health insurance coverage in 2016? select the second or third option and click or tap Continue.
- When you get to Did you have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured? check the box (or boxes) that apply, then click or tap Continue.
- If you have an ECN or are applying for one, make sure you check Got an exemption certificate number.
- Keep following the onscreen instructions. At some point, we'll display the penalty and exemption code or codes.
- If you see the message You are exempt from the tax penalty or The penalty has been waived, you won't be penalized. In this case, Line 14 of your 8965 (shared responsibility payment) will be blank.