TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
8336 people found this useful

How do I add PLUS when using Federal Free Edition?

If you're looking for info on last year's AGI, click or tap here instead.

If you need to get a prior-year return, you’ll need to add and pay for PLUS benefits to get instant access. Once you complete your payment click on Tax Timeline and then click on Looking for prior year returns to access your prior year returns.

If you’re using our mobile app, add PLUS from the TurboTax Mobile App.

Personalized steps on how to upgrade to PLUS

Sign in to your TurboTax account and follow the steps below: 

1. Click on My Tax Timeline under My TurboTax.

2. Click on Load my Tax Timeline across from Looking for prior year returns?

3. Click on the “>” to the right of the Tax Year you want.

If you don't see your previous year returns, you may be in the wrong account. Here's how to retrieve your login information for your correct account.

If you're in the wrong TurboTax account, you'll want to sign out of this account. To do this, click My Account in the top right, and then Save & Sign Out.

4. At the Pay for PLUS benefits screen below (or a similar version), click on the following these instructions link for step by step instructions on how to add PLUS for your specific situation.

If you've already started your 2016 tax return but haven't filed

First you'll have to add PLUS and then pay.

Detailed Instructions:

1. Click Take me to my return.

2. Click Upgrade (if your screen isn’t maximized, the Upgrade option might be located in a slide-out sidebar to the left). Still don't see it?

3. Scroll down to the bottom of the window, select PLUS More Help & Tools, and then click Upgrade Now.

4. Click Confirm Upgrade.

5. Click on the File tab and click Start next to Step 1 Review your order.

6. Click View payment options to pay with your credit card.

7. Click Pay with credit card.  (You can't pay with your refund to access your prior year return instantly.)

8. Enter your credit card details and then click Pay Now.

GEN86828