Maryland 2013: Conservation Easement Carryforward
Taxpayers may be eligible for a credit on their Maryland tax return when they donate an easement to the Maryland Environmental Trust or the Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation.
The credit is limited to the lesser of $5,000 or the Maryland tax. If not all of the credit is used for that year, the excess amount can be carried forward on future tax returns.
Certain Maryland customers, who had a conservation easement carryforward, may have filed an incorrect Maryland tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your state tax return after April 22, 2014 and prior to July 31, 2014 AND
- Your federal tax return included Schedule A, Itemized Deductions AND
- Your Maryland tax return included an easement donation carryforward to 2013 AND
- That donation amount is incorrectly included on Form 502, line 17b.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Maryland return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Maryland 2013: Conservation Easement Carryforward