Maryland 2013: Current Conservation Easement
Taxpayers may be eligible for a credit on their Maryland tax return when they donate an easement to the Maryland Environmental Trust or the Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation.
If easement donations are deducted on the federal Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) and a Maryland credit is received, Maryland’s Schedule A is reduced by that donation amount.
Certain Maryland customers, who donated such easements in 2013, may have filed an incorrect Maryland tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your state tax return prior to April 22, 2014 AND
- Your federal tax return included Schedule A, Itemized Deductions AND
- Your Maryland tax return included a current easement donation for 2013 AND
- The credit for that donation is included on Form 502, line 27
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Maryland return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Maryland 2013: Current Conservation Easement.