TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
794 people found this useful

How do I find my Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

Providing your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from your W-2 allows us to identify the easiest way for you to enter your W-2 form (you also need it to e-file).

The best place to look is in Box b of your W-2 form, located right above or below your employer's name and address.

Your EIN will be a 9-digit number with a dash after the second digit (example: 00-0000000). Keep in mind, an EIN is not the same thing as an Employer’s State ID number or your Employee Number.

What if I don’t have my W-2 yet?

If you don’t have your W-2 yet you should wait until you get it, your employer is required to send W-2s by January 31. If you haven't received your W-2 by February 14, we can help you figure out what to do next.

Also, check to see if it was delivered electronically. Some companies provide digital W-2s either by email or through their own online system.

I can’t get my W-2, where else can I find my EIN?

Other places you can find your EIN:

  • Last year's W-2—if you're working for the same employer and kept a copy of your W-2 (Copy C).
  • Your employer's payroll, human resources, or accounting department.
  • Online—if your company is publicly-traded (has a stock symbol).
    • Search for your company's annual report (Form 10-K).
    • The EIN will be labeled IRS Employer Identification No. and is usually on the first page. (This might not work if your employer has multiple EINs.)
  • Public court documents—if your employer went bankrupt. Oftentimes the EIN will be on the docket sheet along with their name and address.

What if I have a 1099 form?

If we ask you for your EIN and you want to enter information from your 1099 form, you’re most likely in the wrong place. Use these links to get to where you need to be:

If you can’t find your EIN, don’t worry. Just leave that field blank and click on Continue to manually enter your W-2 information. You won't be able to e-file, but you can still file a paper return by mail.