TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
623 people found this useful

Do I get a deduction for my 401(k) or Thrift Saving Plan contribution?

If your contribution appears in Box 12 of your W-2 with a code D, you got the deduction.

Usually, contributions to employer-sponsored 401(k) and TSPs are "pre-tax," which means the contributions are deducted from your earnings before tax is applied.