TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
3 people found this useful

New York 2013: Resident Credit

New York taxpayers, who have income taxed by another state, may claim a resident credit on their New York tax return based on the tax paid to another state.

Certain customers, with a New York return that included a resident credit, may have filed an incorrect New York tax return.

TurboTax has fixed this issue.

How to tell if you may be impacted

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your New York resident state tax return prior to March 6, 2014 AND
  • Your New York Form IT-201, page 3, line 41 (resident credit) is blank AND
  • Your New York return has a form IT-112-R Resident Credit for taxes paid to other states AND
  • You had two or more non-resident state returns with income taxed also by New York

If you are affected, you may have overpaid or underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your New York return.

To amend your return:

  • Follow these step-by-step instructions.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the New York 2013: Resident Credit