How do I enter Form 1098-T?
Here's some important info you need to know before entering your 1098-T:
- If the student on the 1098-T is your dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return, even if your dependent paid the tuition.
- If the student on the 1098-T is you, and you're not being claimed as a dependent, enter the 1098-T on your return unless your employer paid for or reimbursed your tuition (in which case, just keep the 1098-T with your tax records).
- Enter your 1098-T exactly "as is" even if the amounts are wrong (this is common). Don't worry, we'll give you the opportunity to correct the info and/or enter more expenses later.
- Don't enter "0" for any blank boxes on the form, as this will generate errors. Leave blank boxes blank.
Now let's enter that 1098-T form:
- Open (continue) your return, if you're not already in it.
- In TurboTax, search for 1098T (lower-case works also) and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Answer any education questions that pop up (enrollment status, name of school, and so forth).
- If you land on the Education Expenses Summary screen, click or tap Edit next to the student in question, then edit the Tuition item.
- At the Did you get a 1098-T? screen, answer Yes and continue.
After you enter your 1098-T, we'll ask about other expenses (books, supplies, equipment) and financial aid.