How do I print a copy of my return after filing, for my own records?
- Sign in to your account (if you haven't already done so), using the same login you used to file your return.
- If you can't remember, go here so we can help you get logged in.
- Once you're logged in, go to the bottom of the screen and click My Tax Returns and Documents.
- Choose the tax year for the return you want to print
- Select Download/print return (PDF).
- On the next screen, click Download my return.
- Once your return has downloaded, locate the PDF and open it. If you see a printer icon at the top of the screen, click that; or if you have a File menu in the upper left corner, open that and select Print.
- Make any adjustments in the Print window, such as number of copies, and then click the Print button at the bottom.
- If nothing prints or the PDF saves instead of prints, repeat Step 6 and then:
- Click the Advanced button near the top of the popup window;
- Clear the Print to File checkbox;
- Click OK,and then click the Print button again.
When you print the "hard copy" of the return you filed, it'll include extra documentation and calculation worksheets for your files. However, it won't include W-2, 1099, or any other forms from your employer, bank, brokerage (etc.) because TurboTax didn't generate those forms. Contact the party who originally issued those forms if you need those.
First, test if your printer is working by trying to print from another program, such as Microsoft Word. Many printing problems can be resolved by installing the latest version of Adobe Reader (it's free).
If your printer is working:
- You can print from within the program or straight from the Print button (found under the File menu) of your browser.
- If those options don't work:
- Save your return as a PDF. You can do this in one of two ways, either from within the program (follow these steps) or within your browser.
- For the browser method: Look for Print under the File menu of your browser. Under Print, you'll be able to choose to "save as PDF" (it may also be called "print as PDF" or "view as PDF"). Some browsers will add an extra step and open a "preview" window and then ask if you want to "save as PDF" or "print." Choose "print."
- Once the file has been saved as a PDF, it should be easy to print.
- Be sure to note the location/folder where you save your PDF, for future reference or printing.
If your printer doesn't seem to be working:
Try these steps (you can stop at whatever point your printer works).
- Make sure the printer you're using is your default printer. (This is usually listed under "Settings" on your computer.)
- Make sure your printer's drivers and computer's operating system are up-to-date.
- Remove all other devices (such as external drives) which may interfere with printers.
- Shut your computer and printer down for 15-30 seconds, and then turn them back on.
- If your printer is on a network, try a direct connection to a printer using a cable.
- Sign in with a different browser and/or try a different computer that has access to a printer.
If you don't have a printer, or you still can't print after trying the steps above:
- Save the PDF to a storage device, like a thumbdrive.
- Go to another computer and upload the PDF, then print it out.
- You can also email the PDF to yourself, download it, and print it out from another computer. If you don't have access to another computer, stores that offer copy-and-print services (or public libraries) should be able to help you for a small fee.