District of Columbia: Itemized Deductions
For 2013, on the federal 1040 tax return, the itemized deductions may be limited for taxpayers with adjusted gross income over $250,000 ($300,000 if filing jointly.)
Certain District of Columbia customers, who had limited itemized deductions on their federal tax return, may have filed an incorrect District of Columbia tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your District of Columbia state tax return prior to July 3, 2014 AND
- Your federal return includes Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) AND
- Your federal Schedule A has an amount on line 5 for state and local income tax or general sales tax AND
- Your federal itemized deductions are limited -Schedule A, line 29- the yes box is checked.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your District of Columbia tax return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the District of Columbia 2013: Itemized Deductions.