Massachusetts 2013: Health Care Penalty
The Massachusetts health care reform law requires most residents 18 and over with access to affordable health insurance to obtain it. Taxpayers who had four or more consecutive months without health insurance that met Minimum Creditable Coverage (MCC) in 2013 may be subject to a penalty if they had access to affordable health insurance that met the MCC requirements.
Certain Massachusetts customers, who paid a health care penalty, may have filed an incorrect Massachusetts tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Massachusetts state tax return prior to February 27, 2014 AND
- Your filing status was Head of House AND
- Your Massachusetts Schedule HC, Health Care Information, line 12 is checked “yes” AND
- Your Massachusetts Form 1, line 34 has a health care penalty amount.
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Massachusetts return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Massachusetts 2013: Health Care Penalty