TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1 person found this useful

2013 Federal 1040: Earned Income Credit

On a federal tax return, a taxpayer who is under the age of 25 or age 65 or older does not qualify for an earned income credit unless they have a “qualifying child.”

Certain customers, under the age of 25 or over the age of 64, may have filed an incorrect federal tax return.

TurboTax has fixed this issue.


How to tell if you may be impacted

You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:

  • You filed a federal tax return prior to March 13, 2014 AND
  • You (and/or your spouse) are over the age of 64 or under the age of 25 AND
  • You indicated in the TurboTax interview that you had a dependent who paid for more than half of his/her living expenses AND
  • That dependent lived with you for at least six months in 2013.

If you are affected, you may have overpaid your federal tax. You may need to amend your federal income tax return and possibly your state tax return.

To amend your return:

  • Follow these step-by-step instructions.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy:
    • Your federal amended federal to the Internal Revenue Service and
    • Your state amended return to your state tax authority, if your state return is affected.
  • Your printed return(s) will include instructions how and where to mail it.

If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the 2013 Federal 1040: Earned Income Credit