TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
17 people found this useful

How do I replace a lost or damaged tax refund check?

For damaged tax refund checks, please contact the IRS or your state tax agency, as appropriate.

If you lost your IRS refund check (or failed to cash it in before the 1-year expiration date), call the IRS at 1-800-829-1954 to initiate a refund trace. The Bureau of Fiscal Service may need to review your claim before they can re-issue your IRS refund check, which can take up to 6 weeks to complete.

For lost state tax refund checks, contact your state tax agency.

Note: Generally, tax refunds for tax years 2012 and earlier can no longer be reissued, as the statute of limitations has expired. For tax year 2013 refunds, the deadline to replace a lost/damaged check is April 15, 2017 (October 15 if you filed a 2013 extension).