TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
4 people found this useful

North Carolina 2013: Part Year Residents

When income is taxed by North Carolina while you were a resident of North Carolina and that same income is also taxed by another state, a tax credit may be claimed on the North Carolina return.

Certain North Carolina customers, who had a credit for income taxes paid to another state, may have filed an incorrect North Carolina tax return.

TurboTax has fixed this issue.

How to tell if you may be impacted

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your North Carolina state tax return prior to February 25, 2014 AND
  • You were a part-year resident of North Carolina AND
  • Your North Carolina return included a Credit for income Tax Paid to Another State (an amount on Form D-400TC, part 1, line 7a ) AND
  • There was an amount on Form D-400, line 52 (total deductions)
  • If you are affected, you may have overpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your North Carolina return.

To amend your return:

  • Follow these step-by-step instructions.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the North Carolina 2013: Part Year Residents