Oklahoma 2013: Retirement Exclusion
On Oklahoma tax returns, certain types of pensions are excluded such as Civil Service retirement benefits in lieu of social security. Other types of pensions are taxable.
Certain Oklahoma customers who received a 1099-R and this distribution did not qualify for the Oklahoma retirement exclusion, may have filed an incorrect state tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Oklahoma state tax return prior April 22, 2014 AND
- You received a 1099-R with a retirement distribution AND
- In Federal Interview, you indicated that the retirement distribution ‘Does not qualify for the Oklahoma retirement exclusion’ AND
- That pension amount is included on Schedule 511-A (Oklahoma Subtractions), Line 3
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your Oklahoma tax. You may need to amend your Oklahoma return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the OK 2013: Retirement Exclusion.