TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

New Jersey 2013: Back Wages

New Jersey taxes back wages from a lawsuit and it is included with other wages.

Certain New Jersey customers, who received back wages reported on a 1099-Misc, may have filed an incorrect New Jersey tax return.

TurboTax has fixed this issue.

How to tell if you may be impacted

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your New Jersey state tax return prior March 31, 2014 AND
  • You received a 1099-Misc with an amount in Box 3 that was attributable to back wages paid from a lawsuit AND
  • That amount is included on New Jersey Form NJ-1040, Line 14 and also Line 25.

If you are affected, you may have overpaid your New Jersey tax. You may need to amend your New Jersey return.

To amend your return:

  • Follow these step-by-step instructions.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the New Jersey 2013: Back Wages.