TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ

Michigan 2013: Part Year Resident Military Pension

In Michigan, military and Michigan National Guard pensions are exempt from tax.

Certain Michigan customers, who were part-year residents of Michigan and received a military pension attributable to Michigan, may have filed an incorrect Michigan tax return.

TurboTax has fixed this issue.

How to tell if you may be impacted

You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:

  • You filed your Michigan state tax return prior March 4, 2014 AND
  • You filed a part-year resident Michigan return AND
  • You received a 1099-R with a military pension AND
  • You indicated a portion of that was received while a Michigan resident AND
  • The amount was not included on Page 1 of Michigan Form 1040, Line 13, subtractions from income.

If you are affected, you may have overpaid your Michigan tax. You may need to amend your Michigan return.

To amend your return:

  • Follow these step-by-step instructions.
  • After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
  • Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.

If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the MI 2013 Part Year Resident Military Pension.