Maryland 2013: Medical Expenses
On a Maryland tax return, the medical expenses may need to be adjusted if federal bonus depreciation and/or higher federal section 179 expensing were taken on federal return.
Certain Maryland customers, who had the above situation, may have filed an incorrect Maryland tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Maryland state tax return prior to April 22, 2014 AND
- Your federal return includes medical deduction on schedule A, line 1 AND
- Your federal return includes amounts for bonus depreciation and/or section 179 expensing which are “decoupled” (not allowed) on Maryland returns.
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Maryland return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Maryland 2013: Medical expenses.