Georgia 2013: Medical expense adjustment for SDA depreciation
GEORGIA 2013: Medical Expenses
Georgia does not allow Bonus Depreciation that is on a federal tax return. When the bonus depreciation is taken on the federal return, the GA adjusted gross income (AGI) must be recalculated, without the bonus depreciation, for the medical expense threshold for itemized deductions.
Certain GA customers, who took Bonus Depreciation on the federal return, may have filed an incorrect GA tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your GA state tax return prior to March 3, 2014 AND
- Both you and your spouse where born after January 1, 1949 AND
- Your federal return includes bonus depreciation AND
- Your federal Schedule A has an amount on line 4 for medical expenses AND
- Your GA Form 500, page 1, line 12c includes an amount for SDA adjustment.
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your Georgia return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the GEORGIA 2013: Medical expenses