Iowa 2013: Sales Tax Deduction
On an Iowa tax return, the itemized deduction for state sales and use tax paid is allowed only if the taxpayer claimed an itemized deduction for state sales and use tax paid on the Federal return.
Certain Iowa customers, who had state sales and use tax on their federal return but filed with the standard deduction, may have filed an incorrect Iowa tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if all of the following apply to you:
- You filed your Iowa state tax return prior to 02/20/2014 AND
- Your Federal return includes a standard deduction on Form 1040, Line 40 AND
- In TurboTax Interview, you entered sales taxes that you paid AND
- That amount of sales tax is on Iowa Form 1040 Line 37, and the Itemized box is checked.
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your Iowa tax. You may need to amend your Iowa return.
To amend your return:
- Follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the IA 2013: Sales Tax Deduction