TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

filed 1040EZ instead of 1040NR EZ

I am on H1B visa in US. I came to california,US on Dec 2013. I have filled the tax through turbo tax e-file. When I checked it is showing 1040EZ for fedral and 8453-OL for state. I am not sure if it is correct. Please tell what should be correct form for me. What should I do now?

• This is my stay break up in USA

20 Sep 2012 to 14 Dec 2012 -- makes this 29 days in 2012
    and 12 Dec 2013 to till date --- makes this 20 days in 2013

hence i have neither of the below conditions

31 days during the current year, and
    183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that,

Nor have i passed the green card test .

So i am a Non Resident alien and should have filled Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

but for me the form is 1040EZ for fedral which is for Resident Aliens.  And is incorrect.

So please tell me if.

1. This has no impact
    2. Or that i need to fill up another form
    3. Or can this be taken care of from Turbo tax side.

Thanks and Regards
    Deepika Kapoor
  • Unfortunately, TurboTax does not support the 1040NR.  So if you need to fill out the form 1040NR you will not be able to fill this form out with TurboTax.
    Thanks,
    MarthaM
TurboTax does not handle 1040 nr or 1040X returns directly. Instead TurboTax has partnered with Taxback.com to offer non-resident tax services, for more information visit https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

Hello deepikakapoor03,

Here is a link that goes over which form you are to file.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Aliens---Which-Form-to-File

Hope this helps.

MarthaM

• This is my stay break up in USA

31 days during the current year, and

Nor have i passed the green card test .

So please tell me if.

1. This has no impact

Thanks and Regards
      Deepika Kapoor

Similar questions other people found helpful: