TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

ssa-1099 Box3 Part D "deducted from benefits". How can this be if I pay Part D to a private carrier?

I pay Medicare Part D to a private carrier.  Yet on SSA-1099, Box 3, it states "Medicare Prescription Drug Premiums (Part D) deducted from your benefits" followed by an amount.  Does this mean that in addition to having Part B premiums deducted, Social Security does the same for Part D?  I do not understand this as I had to apply for Part D separately; I do not have an advantage plan; I have the original Standard Medicare Plan.  Do private carriers report Part D premiums to Social Security?  If so, why does the SSA-1099 amount not match the amount that I paid directly to the private carrier? OR do I have a problem with having paid my Part D premiums twice? 

Thank you for your help. 

Similar questions other people found helpful: