TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

trying to amend 2012 return.

This question is about a 2012 amendment.  I just filed my 2013 return yesterday using Turbo Tax online free.  I now realize that I need to amend my 2012 return, which was also filed using Turbo Tax online free - over a year ago.  This has nothing to do with the 2013 return I filed yesterday.  I followed all of the steps, downloaded the 2012 software, and my 2012 return.  I started the amendment process using the program, and immediately got an error message that said the status of my e-filed return is still pending, and I need to wait until it has been filed and accepted.  Even though the 2013 filing should not apply here, I have already received an email on that return confirming that it has been filed and accepted by the IRS.  So why can't I proceed with amending my 2012 return?  

• So you were able to get the .tax2012 file from online to open in the program?  

See if this helps. People have reported that you have to SAVE your return after you check the efile status.  Save then close and reopen your return.

First try using the program to check your efile status.  
    Go to FILE-Electronic Filing and check Filing Status.  
    Then save your return, go to FILE - SAVE or FILE - SAVE AS.
    Then close your return and reopen it.

Or You might have to trick it.  If you never went back to check you status or your efile was rejected and so you mailed your return and now it won't let you amend your return, you have to undo any amendment work and then go into the Print and file tab, without having started through the amendment button. Then change the info to filed by paper, save and close the program. Then you should be able to open it and restart the amendment

If you don't see a button for Need to Amend a Filed Return? on your home screen then you can get to it here. Go to:
    Federal Taxes -or- Personal (for H&B)
    Other Tax Situations
    last section, Other Tax Forms
    Amend A Return - Click the Start or Update button

I have the CD version and have the exact same issue.  So this is not just an issue with the "free" online version.  I own TT 2012 and 2013.  My 2013 efile has been accepted by the IRS and I get the same error as you and cannot amend my 2012 return with the 2012 software.

• Same issue here, I have the purchased CD and filed as above but now can not amend because it thinks the 2012 return has not been accepted.

Similar questions other people found helpful: