TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

how to file the 1099 form to the contractor with IRS?

I created a 1099 form using Turbotax for a contractor who did some jobs for my rental home, I already mailed the form to the contractor.  But Turbotax does not show the option to e- file the 1099 form to IRS. What should I do and when is the last day for me to file this?  My own tax return will not be ready maybe until the beginning of April.  Do I need to file my own tax return and the 1099 to contractor with IRS together later or I need to send the 1099 form out earlier?  Any info will be highly appreciated!

Dear autumn_river_200,

Here are the instructions for filing 1099-MISC:

Instructions for Payer

To complete Form 1099-MISC, use:

• the 2014 General Instructions for Certain Information Returns, and

• the 2014 Instructions for Form 1099-MISC.

To order these instructions and additional forms, go to or call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).www.irs.gov/form1099misc

Caution. Because paper forms are scanned during processing, you cannot file Forms 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, or 5498 that you print from the IRS website.

Due dates. Furnish Copy B of this form to the recipient by February 2, 2015. The due date is extended to February 17, 2015 if you are reporting payments in boxes 8 or 14.

File Copy A of this form with the IRS by March 2, 2015. If you file electronically, the due date is March 31, 2015. To file electronically, you must have software that generates a file according to the specifications in Pub. 1220, Specifications for Electronic Filing of Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, 8935, and W-2G. The IRS does not provide a fill-in form option.

Need help? If you have questions about reporting on Form 1099-MISC, call the information reporting customer service site toll free at 1-866-455-7438 or 304-263-8700 (not toll free). Persons with a hearing or speech disability with access to TTY/TDD equipment can call 304-579-4827 (not toll free).

The instructions don't say what address to file to (they're already late), but you might call the number above and get instructions on how to e-file:  you have till March 31, 2014.  Don't send the 1099 with your personal return.

Good luck!

Similar questions other people found helpful: