TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Are withdrawals from an IRA rollover taxable in North Carolina when the source of the funds are from a Federal Thrift Savings Plan

I know that my Federal pension is not taxable in North Carolina.  Are withdrawals from my Federal Thrift Savings Plan also tax free?  If so, what about withdrawals from a rollover IRA account, when the source of those funds are from the Federal Thrift Savings account?

Hello sda226

Thanks for your question about retirement income in North Carolina.

According to the 2013 North Carolina Individual Income Tax Instructions for D-400, distributions from both your Thrift Savings Plan and your IRA are eligible for a deduction on your North Carolina return.  The deduction is limited to $4,000 per taxpayer.

I hope you find this answer helpful.  If you have additional questions or comments regarding this issue, please feel free to reply to this post for further clarification.

Thanks for trusting TurboTax with your tax preparation!

I believe the rules regarding the distribution from an IRA which was the result of a rollover from the Thrift Savings Plan has been revised.  The revised decision makes the distribution not taxable.  Caveat being if you were eligible under the Bailey's exemption to begin with.  I have been trying to find this ruling which I read in one of the tax sites on line but have not been able to find it.

It gave instructions regarding filing amended returns to recover taxes paid on prior year distributions that had been tax but only for those open years, 2010, 11 and 12.

Can any one else confirm this?

Similar questions other people found helpful: