TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Entry from a 1099-B, to be reported on form 8949, Part II, with Box D checked is currently not possible, only boxes A-C. When will Turbotax allow entries to boxes D-F?

• Hi happyoly,
    I am not sure what you mean by these entries are not possible.  I am using TurboTax Premier for Windows and can make the entries for long-term capital gains with basis reported to the IRS by checking the third option on the screen "Let's Find Out More About Your Sales" in the stocks, mutual funds, etc. section under Investment Income.
  • Hi Penny: Scottrade asks us to check Box D on form 8949 Part II, for long term cap. gains. They report only short term gains in box A. Their 8949 has 6 boxes: A-C for short term, D-F for L.T. cap. gains. TurboTax shows LT and ST gains in box A, hints that its 8949 entry area is a work-in-progress. When will it be completed?
  • Hi happyoly,
    Have you updated your software recently?  That might be the issue.   If you don’t have automatic updates set in your preferences, you can update by:
    1. Select “Online” from the menu bar
    2. Then, select “Check for updates”
    3. Follow the onscreen instructions
    Hope this helps!
    If not you may need to contact TurboTax via phone,  To speak with a TurboTax representative, you can click the link below and enter the requested information.  You will then be given the telephone number.
    The hours right now are 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM Pacific Time.

I am having the opposite problem.  My 1099 says to report my L-T Capital Gains on Part II, Box A.  My problem is that there is no Box A on my Form 8949, Part II -- it only has Box D,E,F.  So it appears to me that somebody/something is wrong here -- either my 1099 or TurboTax.

Whoops, just checked again.  The Schwab 1099 says Part II, Box A, but a M-L Edge 1099 says Part II, Box D.  So it looks like a call to Schwab tomorrow to see what is going on.

One last comment - are you on TT 2013.  Last year, TT just had Box A,B.C on Part II, but my TT 2013 does have D,E,F on Part II.  Just a thought -- or maybe as someone suggested, you need the updates.  Don't know when TT made the changes.  And for others that have Schwab 1099s, beware that the language there may be wrong, although the wording of the three options each of the 8949 (Part I and Part II) seems to be correct.  ron in round rock

P.S.  Not an answer - can't tell how to make a comment.

Similar questions other people found helpful: