TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

i don't need to file my state taxes

I was charged for filling state taxes, which is not necessary now.  I'm not able to complete my federal taxes without agreeing to pay for my state taxes.  How do I cancel and get a refund for the state tax filling. 

I assume you are using the Online version.   Have you already paid for the state return?   If so,  you can still delete the state return and file the Federal.   You can then discuss your issue with TT Support to see what they say about a refund.  If you haven't already paid for the state return, just simply delete the state return.   

In either case, here's how to delete:
    • Sign in to your online return.
    • Click State Taxes and Continue.
    • In the Action column, click the Delete link next to the state you want to remove. (If you don't see this link, it's because you've already efiled, and the return's e-file status is pending or accepted.)
    • Click Yes to confirm deletion of your state return .
    • Yes, using the online version.  I haven't efiled yet, but I paid using a credit card.  When I try to change/delete state taxes, it doesn't have that option.  I need some help and haven't had any luck with tech support.  So since I owe state taxes, the only option I get, says to pay, before I can file.  I don't need to file state taxes, therefore, I need that fixed before I can file for my return.
    • I still don't understand why if you've already paid, it's still asking you to pay.   Which Online edition are you using, and what are your itemized fees when you click on TOOLS in the left menu column and then choose MY FEES?

It should be possible to delete a state return even if it's been paid for, as long as it hasn't been efiled and accepted.  So I don't know why you are not seeing a "Delete" link according to the steps I posted above.   One cannot delete a Federal return, however, that has been paid for.

So you have already discussed all this with the folks at TT Support?

Similar questions other people found helpful: