TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

I have a self+dependent HDHP w/HSA and my wife has a self-only. How do I indicate this on form 8889-S?

I have a self+dependent (2 children) HDHP w/HSA and my wife has a self-only. We do this because we work at the same employer and this lets us maximize the employer HSA contribution---they'll give me $2500 and her $1250.

My total Box 12, code W contribution is $3200, and hers is $3250, in order to reach the maximum family allowance.

Under the HSA set of questions, I have selected that I have "family" coverage, and she has selected that she has "self" coverage. This triggers an error during Error Check indicating that because Taxpayer has indicated family on 8889 then 8889-S should not be checked Self. It wants me to change Line 3A to either No Entry or Self.

What is the proper way to deal with this? Do I leave it as-is? Should I change my plan to Self, even though it covers my dependents as well? Thanks in advance.

Similar questions other people found helpful: