TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

How do I report 1099-S for inherited house? Investment Income only allows 1099-B info.

Mother died in 2013. House was transferred on death to 5 kids. house was sold 5 mo. later for $25,000 (Fair Mkt Value: $29,000). Kids each got $5000. Got a 1099-S from the attorney showing $5000 gross proceeds. I tried to report this in Turbo Tax under Wages/Income, then Investment Income, but it only allows 1099-B info. Where do I report 1099-S info if it's not the sale of my MAIN home? Or do I not have to report this since it's inherited & sold at a loss?

• I've read several other entries with the same problem - when you go to "Wages & Income", then select "Investment Income", then "Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds & Other", then "Sales of a second home, land or other real estate", it only allows 1099-B info.  There's no option to enter 1099-S info.  Where do I enter this 1099-S info?
  • Disregard the fact that it's on a 1099-S. Enter using 1099-S amount and date as if it was a cash sale (no form, no financial institution) ...
  • There is no option to enter 1099-s info for inherited property. where do I enter this information?
  • There is no option to enter 1099-s for inherited property. Where do I enter this info?

Similar questions other people found helpful: