TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Estimated payment vouchers for 2014

I have finished filing my 2013 taxes and they are in the 'accepted' stage. When I printed the return I noticed estimated payments for 2014 with 4 vouchers. I've never seen this before on my taxes and I'm trying to understand why they printed.

• I still don't understand why turbo tax is saying we didn't withhold enough taxes? and if we don't want to pay the estimated payments with the 4 vouchers, do we just ignore them or do we have to amend our return?
  • I understand what the Payment Vouchers are for, and if I found myself owing taxes for 2013 I can understand that I might need to pay more in 2014; However, I had a refund for 2013... It is very confusing to receive a refund yet be told I should pay more. Furthermore, I only discovered the vouchers when I happened to open the saved copy of my return. It would be useful if there was some sort of explanation as to why TurboTax thinks I will underpay my taxes next year when this year I overpaid by $700.

Hello Drhulett,

I understand that TurboTax (TT) provided you with four payment vouchers for 2014 and you would like some explanation as to why. We would be more than happy to provide you with that explanation. The vouchers that were printed were estimated tax payment vouchers for if you're not withholding enough taxes from your income. We want our TurboTax customers to reduce or eliminate underpayment penalties, and paying quarterly estimated taxes is one way to do that.

However, it is still up to you to decide whether to pay estimated taxes or not. To help you make that decision, see Calculate Federal Estimated Taxes.

I hope I have answered your question.  If you found this helpful Thumbs up are always appreciated. Feel free to contact us with any other questions or concerns. Remember we are here to help!

Have a wonderful day. :)

Jo Ann

• At what point does the government decide you have to pay an underpayment penalty?

They are for next year. The 1040ES quarterly estimated tax payments DO NOT get sent to the IRS with your return. They are optional to pay. Turbo Tax is very conservative and doesn't want you to owe too much next year. They might have printed out if you got a one time large income this year. Like if you took a IRA or 401K distribution. You can ignore them. You might want to adjust your withholding at work so you won't owe too much next year. 

If you are receiving a refund and TurboTax prepared the vouchers then your tax liability was probably reduced by credits. 

Hello T.marek,

I understand you would like a bit more explanation regarding the vouchers. Not a problem! :) If you click this link: Calculate Federal Estimated Taxes. It will help you decide whether to pay the estimated taxes or not. At this time, it really is up to you whether you use the vouchers or not. We just wanted to provide them to our customers to make things simpler for next year. If you believe you are paying enough into taxes and TT is providing you with the vouchers you may want to speak to your employer regarding your W-4 form.

I hope I have answered your question.  If you found this helpful. If this was helpful to you please let me know. Feel free to contact us with any other questions or concerns. Remember we are here to help!

Have a wonderful day. :)

Jo Ann

• I also am getting the vouchers this year when they have never appeared before.  I am getting a refund so there is no need for the vouchers.  Why are they appearing?
    • Jo Ann  answer is accurate. Based on your comment, the vouchers should not show any amount due. Simply disregard them.
    • Thanks to all for responding.

Jo Ann's response may be accurate but it was not complete and did not address my situation.  I work for an employer that takes taxes out of my paycheck and when I completed TT for 2013, I had a refund due.  The vouchers were for four equal amounts that equaled my annual federal withholding from my employer.  TT should have never prepared the vouchers.

I just started TT 2013 again and there was an update.  Now, no more vouchers.  It seems they were a mistake by the TT programmers after all and they fixed it (without noting it in the revision history).

The answer from Jo Ann is accurate. Based on your comment the vouchers should not show any amount due. Fimply disregard them.

Similar questions other people found helpful: