form 8960 release date

I am waiting on Form 8960. When will it be available and will it have any impact on the taxes I pay if I have no investment income other that $16 in interest?
  • Will Intuit honor its earlier state filing fee for those delayed by the inability to delete and ignore this form? One commentator below alleges as follows: "It is being specifically delayed to February 20th, three days after February 17th when Intuit will increase the state filing fee."
  • Turbotax has failed miserably in making this form available in a timely manner.  It should provide us with free state e-filing as compensation for failing to provide adequate customer service.  When I bought Turbotax, I reasonably expected to be able to file my return by the start of the filing season.  The IRS and other software providers have provided the forms, so there is no excuse for the holdup on Turbotax' end -- apparently customer service is something less than a priority for Intuit.
  • If this is true, Intuit has a bigger problem than state filing fees. The lack of this form prevented me from filing by the Jan. 31 deadline in lieu of a quarterly Jan. 15 filing. There may be penalty and interest ramifications due to this delay.
  • I recommend searching Google for "turbotax alternative".
  • Hello everyone - I have been following your posts and can certainly understand your frustration.  I am going to take all of your feedback to my tax development team right away so that they can understand the sentiment out here. I should be able to come back to you with an update in a few hours.  Stay tuned and thank you for hanging in there.  Kim
  • I am sorry but this is getting unaccpetable! This is 4th time TuboTax postponed this form. It's the only reason why I can't file and will have to wait forever for my substantial tax refund. I actually do expect more than just no fee. If you don't get it done today and I expect a full refund of all amounts paid to Intuit and will surely not use this company ever again.
  • Thanks for escalating Kim! I have never filed my taxes this late before and it is getting very frustrating as the longer it takes, the longer it will be for a refund.
  • I look forward to you response Kim.  One way or another, I am filing this weekend.  There don't seem to be any of these "constraints" on the other software tax preparers web boards nor any advisories/notifications from the IRS website when form 8960 is searched.
  • I have used Turbotax for 10+ years... and this latest debacle can't be blamed on the government.  I'm switching tax software...
  • amen to that
  • Hello again - I wanted to share the latest information with you about Form 8960 availability.  Please see the details below and hopefully this information will be helpful to you:

Although the IRS has released Form 8960 as final, they haven't released the final instructions yet for this form. People with the following forms or schedules will have to wait:

Schedules C, E, F and K-1's
    Forms 4835 and 8814

Because these instructions affect your tax, we are holding off on allowing the form to be filed. As soon as the IRS releases them, we will update this form and you will be able to file your return. If you know you have a Form 8960 but none of the other forms, you can file your tax return starting late afternoon or evening on February 21.
  • While I have a simple Schedule C, I also only have a modest amount of interest income to report. Filling out Form 8960 for me is a simple task and will not be affected by the change in instructions.  So, why not let me file???  How arrogant that Intuit feels it should make this decision for me with the comment that I "will have to wait".  It is also interesting that only now, on February 21, are you allowing some people to file with Form 8960 with even simpler circumstances than me.  Why didn't you let them file weeks ago???  The actual form has been final for some time.  What a disappointment you are, Intuit!
  • Hmmm, I am glad the 8960 will be released on the 21st now.  Although I am suspicious of the date since it went from 20th, 27th and now 22th....Intuit has not email blast all parties involve but I have to sign in to find out....I sense they are not confident about the date.  And yes, Intuit is arrogant and very disappointing....I have tweeted their lack of decision making while other companies have already solve this matter....now, they figured out it, finally.
  • Ok, it's the 22nd and I do not need to file Schedules C, E, F and K-1's
    Forms 4835 and 8814.  Why is Form 8960 STILL not available?
  • Has it worked for anyone?  I'm still getting the same error message about the form not being available.  I already paid TT my fee and don't want to re-enter all info on TaxAct, but will in near future if problem is not fixed.  And I'll certainly never use TT again.  I called in reference to this issue, sat on hold, and the employee had absolutely no clue.
  • This entire process has been completely unacceptable - it's also so misleading to not mention any kind of potential delay until the very end of the return after we have spent an hour+ preparing it. Poor form on TT's part, hopefully they do something to make it up to consumers. Otherwise this will surely be my last year using the software.
  • and btw it's now the 22nd and I still can't file. The person I spoke with via customer support had no idea what form 8960 even was - how could this possibly have been so poorly managed? Is this deadline going to be extended again or are we finally going to be able to file today???
  • According to the IRS FAQ: May I rely on those proposed regulations, the proposed regulations published on Dec. 2, 2013, and/or the final regulations, also published on Dec. 2, 2013, for guidance on the Net Investment Income Tax during 2013?
    Yes. For taxable years beginning before Jan. 1, 2014 (e.g., calendar year 2013), taxpayers may rely on the 2012 proposed regulations (published on Dec. 5, 2012), the 2013 proposed regulations (published on Dec. 2, 2013), or the 2013 final regulations (published on Dec. 2, 2013) for purposes of completing Form 8960.  Certainly seems like it was final some time ago.
  • that's Because Baghdad Bob Meighan provided the analysis  . . . .  just like he said you could file your state without the federal.   Wrong again BoB!
  • We need an definitive answer now. I'm about $150 into this software so far without the filing fees. Just tell us when we can file our taxes!
  • Each line on the form should describe where the numbers come from.  This form is available and I'm tired of waiting.  This is my last year of turbo tax.
  • http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Net-Investment-Income-Tax-FAQs

22. The proposed regulations that were published on Dec. 5, 2012, are effective for tax years beginning after Dec. 31, 2013, but the Net Investment Income Tax went into effect on Jan. 1, 2013. May I rely on those proposed regulations, the proposed regulations published on Dec. 2, 2013, and/or the final regulations, also published on Dec. 2, 2013, for guidance on the Net Investment Income Tax during 2013?
    Yes. For taxable years beginning before Jan. 1, 2014 (e.g., calendar year 2013), taxpayers may rely on the 2012 proposed regulations (published on Dec. 5, 2012), the 2013 proposed regulations (published on Dec. 2, 2013), or the 2013 final regulations (published on Dec. 2, 2013) for purposes of completing Form 8960. However, to the extent that taxpayers take a position in a taxable year beginning before Jan. 1, 2014 that is inconsistent with the final regulations, and such position affects the treatment of one or more items in a taxable year beginning after Dec. 31, 2013, then such taxpayer must make reasonable adjustments to ensure that their Net Investment Income Tax liability in the taxable years beginning after Dec. 31, 2013 is not inappropriately distorted. For example, reasonable adjustments may be required to ensure that no item of income or deduction is taken into account in computing net investment income more than once, and that carryforwards, basis adjustments and other similar items are adjusted appropriately.

Please note that Intuit is not just arbitrarily delaying form 8960 (that for most is not required anyway and will be blank, and that the government has finalized and published a while ago). It is being specifically delayed to February 20th, three days after February 17th when Intuit will increase the state filing fee, in order to cheat its customers out of more money and in order to overcharge (since Intuit does not allow to complete and file state until federal is done, federal is held up by the purposefully delayed form 8960, and you are not allowed to pay your filing fee until after the return is complete - thus this delay by Intuit will, clearly by design, result in you having to pay more).

• Shame on TurboTax!
  • I was filing with turbo tax, but went to TaxAct and was able to file immediately with the form available and it was cheaper too!  I will not use turbo tax moving forward. You just lost a customer!!!
  • Yup. The IRS made form 8960 available weeks ago. It's here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8960.pdf

TurboTax, you've lost a customer.
  • Posted on my facebook page:  TurboTax has committed a major fail this year and can't (or won't bother to) explain why. They've delayed form 8960 from Feb. 7 to Feb. 20 and now, tonight, I find out it's been pushed back to Feb. 27. So I'm having to wait a month to file after I'd already completed everything I needed to do.  I urge everyone to try another product this year. Too late for me -- and it may end up being really too late!
  • I'm bailing out, too, unless that form is available today. I can't wait any longer, and the form is available on TaxAct.com, and that service gets great reviews and it's less expensive than TurboTax.
  • Bingo!  Let's make sure TurboTaxBob and the rest of the tax wunderkinds there experience the new normal under Obama: unemployment
  • Hmmm, I am glad the 8960 will be released on the 21st now.  Although I am suspicious of the date since it went from 20th, 27th and now 22th....Intuit has not email blast all parties involve but I have to sign in to find out....I sense they are not confident about the date.  I have tweeted their lack of decision making while other companies have already solve this matter....now, they figured out it, finally.
  • Every part of my tax return has been done since the 6th of February, and I'm waiting on a decent tax return as the IRS finalizes instructions that should have been completed WELL BEFORE the end of the calendar year.  Why not provide your customers with a name and email address of the IRS person we can express our concerns?
  • Well Kim????? I am tired of "staying tuned" as you the clowns at turbo tax delay and delay.  I am switching to tax act because you clowns are, well, clowns. I've been waiting for 3 weeks.

Goodbye Turbo Tax....Now the Form 8960 release date is Feb 27th.... Total BS!

I just filed with H&R Block and have transmitted my returns.  You service is a joke.  I logged in this morning to see if the Feb 20th date might have moved up a few days, but oh no, you push it back even further to Feb 27th.

You guys are actually worse than the IRS!

• I agree, I am getting tied of Turbo tax, totally unacceptable
  • Still cannot File. Wtf?!?

I just checked and this form is available on the IRS's website.  So clearly it is out and available.  I don't know what is going on with Intuit but I am getting frustrated. 

• H&R Block has been updated. I used the program, filed, and already have received my refunds. I suggest you give it a try!
  • i just went to their site and found this---02/25/2014 03/04/2014      Form 8960: Net Investment Income Tax

The first date for Windows and the 2nd for Mac-  Did you use a workaround?
  • I have used TurboTax for the past 10 years; this is totally unacceptable and will switch to another tax software...
  • Hmmm, I am glad the 8960 will be released on the 21st now.  Although I am suspicious of the date since it went from 20th, 27th and now 22th....Intuit has not email blast all parties involve but I have to sign in to find out....I sense they are not confident about the date.  I have tweeted their lack of decision making while other companies have already solve this matter....now, they figured out it, finally.  I will switch next year too and join the many folks here....
I just filed with TaxAct.  Same refund.  No issues. IRS accepted return within an hour.
  • Would love to except that I wanted to review some of the other forms that Turbotax created manually.  To print it out, it required me to pay for it already.

That will be the last time I ever pay for this service.
  • Ask for a refund.  You bought a product that doesn't work.  And if they don't give it to you - dispute the charges with your credit card company.
  • good idea
  • I've been a Turbotax customer for years, but, ever hopeful at first, I then grew tired with Turbotax's delays with Form 8960.  I re-did my taxes in Taxcut, and then (ta-da!) e-filed my tax return on 2/19 with no problems.  Thanks Taxcut!

Hello jeffachristianse, I will be happy to help you today.

You can see the availability dates for all form here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-availability-dates-for-2013-irs-personal-individual-tax-fo...

As far as the second part of your questions, please add it to a new question, and one of our skilled tax professionals will be better able to assist you.

Thank you for using TurboTax, if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
D.S.

• 10 more days for something that has been out for weeks already.   why cant you get this in quicker?
  • Agree.  And why did the release date for Turbo Tax slip another week.  Last week it was due to be released on 13 February.  Now it's not due to be released until 20 February.
  • Not sure why turbo tax so slow to update why???
  • I called the IRS several days ago and they said it would be ready on the 13th? Interesting how Turbo Tax keeps delaying it.
  • I have used TurboTax for years and my 2012 return will be the last one done with them.  Are they kidding? I just spent hours getting the Federal and two state returns in order and it wasn't until the final review that this Form 8960 message popped up.  I was ready to pay and efile three returns, not to be aggravated by incompetence. So long, TurboTax...thanks for nothing.
  • I'm disgusted!  I have to finalize my tax return before submitting a "letter of special circumstances" for my daughter's college.  I was supposed to have had this in by 2/1 as my FAFSA is based on last year's income, however I became unemployed at the end of last year so I don't have near the amount of money that my FAFSA displays.  They won't look at the letter of special circumstances until I file.  Switching to H&R Block next year.  This is pure BS
  • TurboTax, you've lost a customer. This is nonsense.

The IRS made form 8960 available weeks ago. It's here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8960.pdf

Why the delay? Other online tax preparers have managed to have this working just fine.
  • turbo tax - you've just lost another customer
  • Unreal.  Shame of TT.  I will never use your product again.
  • This is ridiculous.  TurboTax should provide refund to individuals who were delayed as a result of this.
  • Figured it out finally?  Lol.  Still not available for me.

There is absolutely no reason for this delay and TurboTax should have updated the program by now.  The form was released on or about January 27 and there was no change from the draft form, so Intuit should have been ready. The excerpt below is from http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/

Just in time for the start of tax season, the IRS has released the final version of Form 8960Net Investment Income Tax—Individuals, Estates, and Trusts, which will be used by individuals and trusts and estates to compute the new 3.8% tax and then to report the tax on Forms 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts. The final version of the form does not differ from the draft version released last August. Final instructions have not yet been posted.

Sec. 1411(a)(1) imposes a tax equal to 3.8% of the lesser of an individual’s net investment income for the tax year or the excess (if any) of the individual’s modified adjusted gross income for the tax year over a threshold amount. The threshold amounts are $250,000 for married taxpayers filing jointly and surviving spouses, $125,000 for married taxpayers filing separately, and $200,000 for other taxpayers. The tax also applies to estates and trusts, with different threshold amounts.

Taxpayers will use Form 8960 to calculate total investment income and total deductions and modifications (such as investment interest expense and state taxes) to arrive at net investment income. The form provides separate tax calculations for individuals and for trusts and estates. Individuals will report the net investment income tax on line 60 of Form 1040; trusts and estates will report it on Schedule G, line 4, of Form 1041.

• Intuit, if you really cared about customer service, you would have devoted sufficient resources to make Form 8960 long ago.  You won't remain the leader in this market if you continue to provide such poor service.  You should both apologize and offer affected customers free state e-filing to make up for your mismanagement of this situation!  Stop blaming the IRS and accept responsibility for not devoting enough resources to a very solveable problem.
  • so @TurboTaxKimB - I guess all of us who were screwed for the last 3+ weeks by TT's management's inability to bifurcate the process to allow us to file are all royally screwed then on getting any common customer courtesy, such as free state efiling? Just checking to see if you guys are trying to make this right
Turbo tax- this delay is entirely on you now, not the IRS. Very unhappy! You just lost a long time customer because of your unwillingness to disclose ahead of completing the form that you were delaying 8960. Poor customer service and it's fairly obvious you don't really care about your customers, only your bottom line. Your management made a poor decision.

I'm a long time TT customer that has decided that this year is the last.  Continually delaying Form 8960 without any explanation is unacceptable and a sneaky marketing ploy. 

OK - what gives.  Last week, the date was 2/20/2014.  This morning, it said the form would be ready 2/27/2014.  I just checked again, and the date is back to 2/20/2014.  This is already delayed from its original Turbotax release date of 2/7/2014.  The form was released by the IRS late January.  Who is running this show, exactly - the IRS or Intuit?  My guess is neither.

My return is ready to be filed (other than form 8960).  When I go to the Error Check, I get the following:

Form 8960: _ The taxing authority did not release this form in time to be included in our program. You must obtain an update before you file your return..

I have a sizable tax return coming, due to some last-minute charitable donations.  Why the delay?  TurboTaxDavidS2 and the others on this board have provided ZERO assistance.  Does anyone at Intuit know what's going on?

• It just changed AGAIN - back to 2/27/2014.
    • Do you understand how incredibly difficult it is to program and maintain software like TurboTax? How many people do you think file with them? I can tell you over a million returns have been filed through them. Not to mention constantly updating tax laws, form interactions, transfer and importing rules, all the state regulations, and keeping up with IRS regulations placed on them. It cost money to have people do this programming and some forms need pushed back while other issues are taken care of.
    • I actually do understand how difficult it is to program and maintain software like TurboTax, as this is what I do for a living.  I've logged in four times now, and every time I do, it gives me a different date for form 8960.  This is poor design, not a lack of programmers.

IRS Form 8959 was also delayed, and originally given the same release date as 8960.  It was also released at the end of January, and TurboTax has had 8959 available for several weeks now.

Furthermore, TurboTax, not the IRS, has been moving the goalpost on this form for over a month now.  It keeps changing and changing.  Part of good customer service and good project management is to properly manage customer expectations.  Had the original date been stated as February 27th, customers could have decided to either go somewhere else or to wait.
    • While it may only help a handful of TurboTax users there is a way to get around this glitch if you only had a few dollars of 2013 interest from a checking or savings account and no other net investment income to declare.  Follow the instructions provided at the link below to delete Form 8960:
      https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2163456-can-i-delete-form-8960

As seen in  numerous posts on these boards, this by itself does not resolve the problem.  If all you you had was less than ten dollars of bank interest you need to also remove that amount from the income figures you provided on TurboTax.  Once Form 8960 is deleted and this interest income number changed to zero you should be able to get through and efile your returns.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS WORKAROUND TO ANYONE WHO GOT A 1099 FROM A BANK, HAD MORE THAN A FEW DOLLARS IN BANK INTEREST OR IS IN ANYWAY UNSURE ABOUT OTHER NET INVESTMENT INCOME THEY NEED TO DECLARE.
    • Okay, Kim.   Let's take care of the business so we can file now instead of later.  I cannot imagine building a business that does not have answers to circumstances as such to minimize the business disruption and customer dissatisfaction.  You got tax lawyers/experts and can certainly do the many suggestions that your customers have provided.  Turbo Tax can do a lot better than making it a government delayed release of instructions.  If you have been following this then it is travesty not correct it yesterday.  We are not tax experts nor we do this for a living.  This is your business.
    • TurboTaxbooberg - let us file now with the completed 8960 form, if we have to amend later we'll do it.  But let us decide if that is the risk we are willing to take, I don't see any harm to Turbo Tax.
    • 100% agree!
    • Good evening - we have some late-breaking info to share that may help some of you file tomorrow.  The product development teams are working very hard to get these updates in tomorrow afternoon/evening.  

Please read below for full details:

Schedules C, E, F and K-1's
      Forms 4835 and 8814

All...  I appreciate all your feedback. Let me provide some background so you can hopefully understand that this problem is beyond our control.

Although Form 8960 is final, the instructions are NOT final. Again, the instructions for computing the form are not final. We have been told by the most senior IRS officials that the draft instructions will change. We have 5 emails from the IRS on this specific issue and all tax software providers have been given this same message. To our knowledge, with the exception of one software vendor, all other software providers have NOT included Form 8960 as final. For the lone ranger out there, if you decide to file with them you run the risk of having to amend your federal return.

We are shooting on a 2/27 release date assuming the IRS provides us final instructions soon.

I hope this information helps.

Edit: By the way, despite the claims of others, you can file your state return independently of the federal return.

Bob Meighan
    VP, TurboTax 
    • When was the last IRS email, and can you copy its content into the thread?
    • Thank you TTBob.  While the lack of the ability to do the form is frustrating, the reason why so many people are up in arms is because TT has done a terrible job coming out and providing this very message and explaining WHY the form is not available yet.  Hopefully a lesson learned for next tax season: when something is not available, make a very public and clear statement rather than just continually delaying the availability date without providing anything more than rote responses to legitimate customer concerns.  But I bet TT has lost quite a few customers over this failure to communicate.
    • Thanks jandjgrant. It's a moving target getting this info from the IRS, but your point is well taken./bob m
    • Well Bob, it would be even nicer if the frickin' software did not give an error message and said I could file my bloody state return independently.   Like the IRS, your company needs to be swept out with a flat tax.
    • In cases like this, TT's in-software "error" message should also state the reasons for the delays so customers don't have to resort to on-line message boards and telephone calls to get answer like this.
    • the error message does state the reason, this form, but "Bob" needs to recognize that the software tries to keep you from filing your state return . . . .
    • OK TaxPro Moderator, Just exactly do you e-file your state return without your federal. I have Turbo Tax Premier and it won't let me. Please provide instructions or fix this stupid program to allow State E-file
    • Inspired by Bob's post I tried to eFile state only (New York) but it won't let me as it says federal filing is required before it will allow.
    • All the error message I've seen only says that the forms are not final for filing yet, and it gives an expected date when they will be ready, a date that keeps getting pushed back.  It should state clearly that  this delay is being caused by the IRS's delays in finalizing the instructions and/or the IRS approving TT's forms for filing.  TT needs to explain the "why" much better in the error messages in the software.  Just continually pushing the date back without explanation is not enough at this point.
    • even better "bob",  you guys should eat the cost and provide a partial refund
    • If the instructions might change why are you holding 8960's back with only interest, dividends and normal stock sales.  Only 8960 with see instructions line entries that need to be held back for final instructions.  Why are you holding everyone else up?
    • Bob,

How do you file the state return independently of the federal return? I'm using the online version. When I go to the "File" option in the left-hand column, I get the following message:

"Your forms are not available yet

The forms you need to complete your return(s) are not available yet. You'll be able to file as soon as the forms are ready. Please check back later.

Go to the Review section to find out more details."

I have entered all of my requisite information for both my federal and state returns. There is no option on that page to proceed with a state return only.

Many thanks,
      FJL
    • Bob, FYI, this is an answer I got from another TurboTax customer service person:

"10_Cathisa G
      Thank you for holding, usually the program does allow you to file your state return separately from your federal, however if information from your federal return cannot carry over to the state return because of form availability it will not allow you to file for your state until all forms are final."
    • Is the hold up about the sale of property on the 8960?  If so, then this is probably affecting less people....you can fix this.
    • Did you fix the State filing?  Cannot file State.
    • Sounds like Bob is giving us the Bagdad Bob answer.  Evidently you cannot file your state electronically without completing the federal first.  This will be the last time for me with TT.  If for no other reason than not even being able to answer a simple question honestly.
    • TurboTaxBob - Can you come up with a "solution" that will allow us to file NOW, and then amend the return later?  Form 8960 will have minimal impact on my return as I don't have much investment income.

As has been noted many times, college financial aid requests are due by 3/1 at a lot schools.  We can't submit these requests until the tax forms have been filed.

You can blame this on the Government as much as you want, but that won't help me at all if I can't get this filed before 3/1.
    • If it is the instructions that are not finalized and there is the possibility amended returns will need to be filed, why don't you let us go ahead and e-file and if an amended return needs to be filed that is the problem of us, your customers.
    • I am going to go to the Ohio website and e-file my Ohio return on their site and not wait for Turbo Tax.
      I will strongly look at another tax prep software program next year after many years with Turbo Tax
    • The IRS webpage - http://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-8960 - will indicate when the instructions for form 8960 have been finalized. Everyone who is frustrated can use the IRS's comment page - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Comment-on-Tax-Forms-and-Publications
      Since this is a punitive tax, it is plausible that the IRS has been instructed to delay taxpayers impacted by the tax from filing for several weeks. Would this surprise anyone?

The overarching issue is providing the fraudsters extra weeks to file bogus returns.
      http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/02/file-your-taxes-before-the-fraudsters-do/
      TurboTax would do well to allow users to file both Federal and State returns now and amend returns later if necessary since the instructions are not likely to change.
    • Exactly swisstea - Turbotax, let us file our returns now and amend later if we have to.
    • oh and as for Baghdad "TurboTax Bob"s canned answer that we can file state without federal - well, you are wrong. So . . . are you going to apologize for this or just assume we cannot read and comprehend the Queen's English?    Frankly, you should man up and get us a free state efile.  The $20 fee for everyone screwed over by this sheer stupidity on you and your product development team's part is peanuts for your company.  I guess they don't teach customer service . . . .
    • I spoke to customer service and was advised that I could print out my state and mail if I wanted but that I could NOT efile state without federal.
    • so basically, eliminate the main reason for purchasing the product, ie, the ability to efile.  classic.  oh, and wait 4-6 weeks for a refund.

I just got off of a TurboTax online "Chat with a Pro" conversation that was a complete waste of time.  The TurboTax rep, Sheena A, gave me canned answers first referring me to this post and stating that the release date is to be 2/20/14...having no idea that it had been extended to 2/27, and furthermore offering no explanation as to the reason why the form isn't available on TT after the IRS released it on January 27th.  

Finally, she gave in and said she's "not a tax expert" and only their for technical support and could not answer my simple question...HOW EMBARRASSING AND UNACCEPTABLE....THIS IS MY LAST YEAR USING TURBOTAX!!!!!!!!!

I purchased TT in December, and I have been waiting since the beginning of the filing season to be able to file my federal and state returns.  I have a very large refund due and I also need to submit my tax forms to universities in order to apply for financial aid for my daughter.  I cannot wait any longer for Intuit to provide Form 8960.  The repeated delays in making this form available have been appalling!  I contacted customer service yesterday, was told my call was being "escalated", and was promised a return call later that day.  No one called.  I called today, and the customer service agent had no knowledge of the Form 8960 problem.  She patiently worked for 30 minutes to get someone from "Level 2" to assist me while I waited on the phone.  Finally, a Level 2 person responded with this flippant remark:  "Please inform the client that Intuit has no control over when a form is released".  This reveals that the Level 2 person is completely ignorant that the form was released by the IRS many weeks ago and that all of its competitors have made the form available.  That was the entire contribution of the Level 2 person to this problem after keeping me waiting for 30 minutes.  What a total lack of regard for customers!  Intuit seems to have the same lack of competence as the companies that initially designed the healthcare.gov website.  Ultimately, the "Level 1" customer service person was kind enough to act on my request to rebate me the $39.99 I paid directly to Intuit for the state tax program, since I now will have to file using a competing vendor's software.  However, she was unable to rebate me the $39.99 for the federal deluxe software as I bought that from a 3rd party vendor and not directly from Intuit.  So, I am out all of the time it took to complete my return on TT, all of the interest I would have received had I been able to apply for my refund on time, all of the time I spent with customer service, and even the $39.99 I paid for the federal TT deluxe software. Thanks very much, Intuit! I have been using TT for many many years, but no more!

I plan to leave negative reviews of TT on Amazon and other sites.  I encourage all of you who have been so poorly served by Intuit to do the same so that potential buyers will be forewarned.  I also encourage you to contact TT and insist on a refund.  

• I got the same issue with college financial aid.  I need to file now.  As we all know, first come first serve on scholarships and financial aids..........this will cost our household more than the $39.99 or in my case $80.

TaxAct will allow you to e-File a return that includes Form 8960.

It is my understanding that the delay in IRS issuing the final instructions for Form 8960 relates to line 5 (net gain or loss from disposition of property), which likely only applies to a small percentage of returns.  Once it became apparent the IRS was hung up on this point, TurboTax should have allowed taxpayers to indicate if this disposition of property was applicable, and if not then allowed the taxpayer to complete their return.

I will be switching to TaxAct in future years.

• Well TurboTax Bob, did you catch havetold's comment?  If it is true, then Turbo Tax can fix now.  Right?
      • Maybe Bob Meighan is working on his resume and can't respond right now?

I'm amazed that Turbo tax cant find a programmer that can develop a one page form in less than 30 days! Is Intuit management aware of the damage that's being caused to the company's reputation and their future income?

There appears to be no attempt to expedite the resolution of this issue, I have a large return held up for a form so I can pay $3.00 of tax?

same here. doesn't let me file now for over another week. I will be formally issuing a complaint to intuit, getting my money back and filing with one of their competitors and recommending all my contacts do the same.

Turbo Tax just extended it to the 27th.  I have less than $10 in interest .  Why the delay???????

Turbo Tax fix the date and get it done.  many of us are waiting for this to complete.  Get it done.

I just got off the phone with Turbotax on this.  The representative knew nothing about it, and was completely unhelpful.  I guess I'll just see what happens on Feb. 27.  Bummer having to wait on refund though, and irresponsible of Intuit to not have a detailed, informative response to all of the questions about this form.

As mentioned earlier, the IRS has released Form 8960 as final, but they have not yet released the final instructions for this form. This affects people with the following forms or schedules: Schedules C, E, F and     K-1's and Forms 4835 and 8814.

Thanks to your feedback, the development team has reworked the release schedule. We will be releasing the form 8960 late Friday afternoon/evening allowing many of you to file. This will allow those of you who do not have schedules C, E, F, K-1’s, form 4835, and form 8814. We understand that this will not help all of you, but it will help many thousands of people file sooner.

Unfortunately, because this is a tax, and not a deduction or credit, we have a professional obligation to you and to the IRS to not allow filing without this form. We know that this is tough for many of you who are affected and we have made this a high priority to release immediately after we receive final instructions. I am personally checking in with the product team multiple times through the day, and I will keep you posted.

However, if you have Form 8960 but none of the other forms or schedules listed above, TurboTax will start filing these tax returns late afternoon/evening on February 21. To find out when you can file, log in to TurboTax, prepare your return and TurboTax will alert you when you can file.

• If this is true and the form is released tomorrow for at least *some* users, I applaud TurboTax/Intuit for pushing it through.  Also, the communication seems to have improved here, largely thanks to the noise in this forum.  In the future, better communication and training with your customer service staff on issues like this may prevent a series of irate posts, such as the ones above.
              • Appreciate the nice comment - i passed it along to the team and i know they are working very hard for tomorrow's release.  Have a great evening!
              • so I just checked and asked the system to "update".  I don't have any of the "magical" forms that require me to wait, yet the system still says I have to wait until 2/27 to file.  What's up with that?
              • Thank you for the fix.  The update worked, my return was transmitted and accepted.
              • So glad to hear - and thank you for letting us know.  I will be sure to pass it along to our development teams!
              • Why is the update not available to all?! I just checked twice and still don't have the form.  I am very loyal to the brands that I like, but this is really testing that loyalty.  I have an underpayment penalty (my problem) that is growing with everyday of delay.  Please release the update to all!
              • Still can't file… what's up turbo tax… this is the worst experience ever.

All… Your complaints, frustrations and anger are clearly heard and felt by all of us at TurboTax. We share your frustration. Again, we hear you and share your frustration!

I posted 3 days ago about the reasons for the delay with Form 8960 and will give you an update as well as some background for those reading this for the first time.

What’s Holding Up Form 8960?

Although Form 8960 is “final”, the instructions for computing the tax on investment income have not been released by the IRS. In other words, we do not have official, final guidance on how to compute Form 8960. This is true of all tax software providers and tax preparers. We do have the basic guidelines, but we have also been told by the most senior IRS officials that the final instructions for Form 8960 will definitely change from the preliminary ones we have now. Again, the calculations for Form 8960 will change when the IRS releases the final instructions.

What is TurboTax Doing?

Because the calculations for Form 8960 will change, we have been reluctant to allow taxpayers to file a return that may result in an incorrect tax and require the filing of an amended return. While you may think you are not affected by Form 8960, TurboTax is holding it because some element in your return is definitely triggering Form 8960. That element may be small or immaterial, but it is a factor in computing Form 8960. Ultimately, that item may not have any effect on your return, but until final rules are issued, we don’t know.

However, based on additional IRS guidance recently received, we enabled the filing of Form 8960 two days ago for the majority of filers affected by this form. However, some filers will still be precluded from filing Form 8960 if it appears that the pending IRS changes will affect your return.

What Does the IRS Say?

In response to our questions regarding Form 8960 final instructions, the IRS stated, "Unfortunately we do not have a timeframe.  We are working hard to finalize the instructions and we will post them as soon as possible." 

What Can Filers Do Now?

For most filers affected by Form 8960, download the latest TurboTax update to see if you can file. As noted above, a minority of filers will still have to wait until we get final instructions from the IRS. For those who believe they have to file now without regard to consequences, you can delete the items in your return that are triggering Form 8960 and file. But that also means you will have to file an amended return once Form 8960 is enabled for all filers. That is your choice and one that we are neither encouraging nor advocating.

What is the Competition Doing?

As of a couple of days ago, all the major tax software providers (and most CPAs) with the exception of one were not allowing the filing of Form 8960. Although we received verbal assurances from their agents that they were, the reality is that when we tested their software, the returns were in fact blocked. So what you may hear and experience from competitors are likely to be different.

Questions and Final Word

When we receive additional information on this topic, it will be posted here first. Please do not call our agents as they will not have any better answers or more recent information than what is posted here from us.

Thank you for hanging in there and please know that we are doing everything humanly possible to get the final instructions from the IRS. We know you want your refund!

Bob Meighan, VP TurboTax

• Bob - sorry, but you are full of it.   Your "software" is not some omnipotent god when it comes to deciding what forms get filed or the accuracy of our return.  How can I say that?  Because your software required me to use form 8959 (after waiting for you to release it) and then my federal and state returns were REJECTED.  What was the solution?  I was told to DELETE the stupid form and re-file, which I did and then my return was accepted.  So, would you like to try for final jeopardy where the scores can really change??

Now - where is my $19.99 refund for the state efile that is warranted b/c of your company's screwup?
              • Good luck getting your $19.99 back, Glock9mm.  I just efiled with TaxAct and I don't even care if I get a dime from TT.  I am forever done with them.  They have all my info and know how to contact me if they want to do the right thing and pay me the $59.99 that was wasted, but I am not holding my breath.
              • you can always file a "dispute" with your credit card . . . . make TT spend $$ and resources to get paid.  Just saying.
              • This software is turning into garbage.
              • indeed

Now the date is 2/27 and who knows how many further delays that TT will impose. A lot of complaints and frustration on the various threads on this topic.  This is the kind of thing that the State Attorneys General are very eager to look into/pursue.

Why the continued delay on form 8960?  Now it won't be ready until 2/27/14?  Why does the available date for this simple form keep moving back?  I'm now being forced to give the IRS and NJ extended, interest free loans on my refund money, because I can't file my returns yet due to this form still not being ready.  This is especailly frustrating, because I do not expect to have my refund reduced by any more than a dollar or two as per this form.  Intuit needs to get this form done already!  I'm srating to think about taking my business elsewhere, and so are many others.

By the time Turbo Tax lets you file, the IRS backlog will be so great, you may not see a refund for 2 months after filing.

You would be smart to not waste your time waiting for TT to get their pitiful act together.

http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_room/contacts/  These people need to hear from  you.

What is the latest date estimate based on?  Is there any real guidance from the IRS, or is TT just hoping something will happen and just arbitrarily giving us the one-more-week date?  If I'm going to hold on here I need facts, not guesswork.

Unfortunately I can't "relax."  College financial aid forms are due by 3/1 for incoming freshman at many schools. 

I think TurboTax needs to come up with an another solution -- even if it means that they to allow us to file an amended return after they get the final instructions.  Form 8960 is going to have minimal impact on my tax return and I can't wait much longer.

• Ditto.  They don't get.  TT Bob is all silent now.  Probably still sleeping out West.
                      • $8 bucks. I can't file my return and get my meaningful refund because of a whopping $8 bucks that I know I owe on form 8960. It is NOT complicated.
                      • Hmmm, I am glad the 8960 will be released on the 21st now.  Although I am suspicious of the date since it went from 20th, 27th and now 22th....Intuit has not email blast all parties involve but I have to sign in to find out....I sense they are not confident about the date.  I have tweeted their lack of decision making while other companies have already solve this matter....now, they've figured it out, finally.  I will switch next year too and join the many folks here....

Please, Turbotax, stop treating your customers like children.  I am ready to file my taxes, and I am willing to take the (very small) risk that the revised instructions will affect my tax bill and cause me to file an amended return.  I do not want to "delete the items in [my] return that are triggering Form 8960" (that is a terrible idea -- it guarantees the need to file an amended return).  Please just give us a warning about the potential for changes to our tax return when the new instructions come out, and LET US FILE OUR TAXES.  We can decide for ourselves whether or not we should file now.

Now Turbo Tax is saying the 8960 form willnotbe available until 2/27/2014. Why??

I am a CPA and we use a much more sophisticated software.  Form 8960 has not been approved to efile.  It is the government's fault.

• Care to divulge your CPA credentials?

Plus the DRAFT instructions state: "These instructions are based mostly on Regulations sections 1.1411-1 through 1.1411-10, which are effective for tax years beginning after 2013. However, you may rely on these instructions for your 2013 tax year."  Maybe I missed something, but the form TurboTax Deluxe is using looks like the IRS form, so what's up?

#fail.

We should tweet Brad....@intuitbrad...maybe he will make up same excuse as turbo Bob

If other tax filing services are allowing filing (with an understanding that an amended return may be required), the IRS may not even perceive this as an issue that requires an expediated resolution. Aside, will the instructions really change with respect to simple interest and dividends? That area seems quite a bit more straightforward than more exotic investment income scenarios. It's already gone from 2/6 to 2/13 to 2/20 to 2/27; so, it doesn't appear as if dates are based on actual guidance from the agency. This just seems like something that has the potential to go to 3/6, 3/13, etc. Has it been confirmed that H&R Block allows filing? Once I make that switch, it becomes the new baseline for auto-renewals.

I've been a Turbotax customer for years, but, ever hopeful at first, I then grew tired with Turbotax's delays with Form 8960.  I re-did my taxes in Taxcut, and then (ta-da!) e-filed my tax return on 2/19 with no problems.  Thanks Taxcut!

You can pay at any time to lock in your price, and then finish filing when the forms are finalized (or in some peoples' cases, when their tax documents come in from all the necessary financial institutions). Go into the print center and click on the option to print a copy of your return (or view it as a PDF), and the program will prompt you to pay before making the forms available. Once you have paid, changes in the price are irrelevant (as long as you don't upgrade to a different version of TurboTax), because you will already be marked as paid in full.

Kim/Bob,

Last week I saw 2/22 as the release date thinking TT have accelerated the use of form 8960.  Today, the release says soon...

What does that mean?    Are we on for today, the 27th or do we have a date.  If I can't get an answer, I too, will have to use another software package.

How did you file with H&R Block?  I was told that H&R Block would not have the 4960 ready until 2/25.

• I opened an account and filed today.  It computed my 8960 and I filed both Federal and State this morning...Feb 18th
                                      • I, too, filed through H&R Block. It included my interest income ...no problem. Refund already in hand.
                                      • I just bailed on TT also.  Cost me an extra hour to re-enter my stuff, but all the forms available and I found their site much easier to use...and their calculations were a few hundred more in my pocket AND their fees are about $10 less for federal and state total.  Bye bye Turbo Tax.

Hello everyone - I have been following your posts and can certainly understand your frustration.  I am going to take all of your feedback to my tax development team right away so that they can understand the sentiment out here. I should be able to come back to you with an update in a few hours.  Stay tuned and thank you for hanging in there.  Kim

• Jut let us know when TurboTaxBob is relieved of duty so he can spend more time with his crappy 70's rock cover band and there is someone who can execute on a simple task.
                                      • Glock... You have me confused with someone else. I don't have time to play in a 70s rock cover band.
                                      • @Bob- yeah, too busy playing golf.  Let's see how this tax season shakes out for ya partner.
                                      • Don't play golf but I do find time to do other things.
                                      • Although we have not had further guidance from IRS, we will enable the filing of Form 8960 late on Feb. 26 (or possibly early the next morning) based on draft instructions.

At that time, you can choose to file based on draft instructions or wait until the IRS issues final guidance. Those using the software version of TurboTax will have to update TurboTax.

If you make the decision to file now, you may need to amend your return if the final instructions produce a tax liability different than the liability computed using draft instructions. You assume responsibility for checking for product updates to determine if the final instructions require an amended return and for paying any additional tax and interest.

If you decide to wait on final IRS instructions, we will give you the option (in the product) to be notified by email when the form and instructions are final.

I know many of you were not happy having to wait, just as we were not either. We heard your pleas and have made the changes to give you the choice to proceed in a manner that works best for you.

Bob Meighan, VP TurboTax
                                      • Ive looked at the form 8960 with respect to my return, there can be no other way to file it.  The form is clear where the numbers come from, the calculation and where the tax goes on the 1040, I don't understand the delay.  Im a
                                        a CPA for over forty years.  I don't practice in income taxes now, but I have for many years and taught tax accounting at the university level.

Although Form 8960 is available to print from the IRS website, the instructions for computing the form are NOT final. At this time, we only have draft instructions which the IRS has advised us WILL change. Once we have the finalized instructions, we will work to get the form finalized in the program as quickly as we can. We are not filing with the draft version of the instruction because the accuracy of our customer's tax returns is of utmost importance to us and we felt it would be irresponsible to finalize the form knowing the computation would likely change, thus requiring customers that already filed to have to amend their returns. Again, the IRS has announced that the final instructions will change from what are currently available.

You can see the draft version of the Form 8960 Instructions here:
                                      http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i8960--dft.pdf

You can see our schedule of forms availability dates here, which has the most up-to-date information on when the 8960 and other forms will be ready to file:

• Let me file my return now.  I'll take the risk that it might have to be amended

what is the latest timing on form 8960? is it still 2/27?

Farmers have to file by 2/28/14....i am reporting interest income....there will be no change of any kind ....please release this form....i will take the chance that i have to amend my taxes....I do not prepay and if i do not pay on time there is a hefty fine. my state tax will not print and this form is not even in it.....i want to mail it and not pay your high filing costs.   All the professional tax people are have filed farmers returns on time this year.....may have to go back to them.

What a horrible experience, TurboTax use to be such great tool, but this year it has been a real nightmare. This tool doesn't still allow me to file my return without form 8960...and it is surprising no one in Turbo Tax can give correct answer. It doesn't looks like Intuit care about their customer as they have already collected their money.

I moved on.  Sorry Intuit.  It took way too long for you to recognize that you were wrong.  Goodbye after 9 years.  

There are two times the form gets released. One is the print date from the IRS website to simply do just that and get it mailed in with the rest of your tax return. The date that everyone seems to be calling about and frustrated over is the date for tax software's, like TurboTax, will receive that form on. It is frustrating to wait on a form that has been delayed 3 times now but all we can do is wait until they send the finalized form. TurboTax does not control this delay.

• I hear taxcut is cheaper and squeezes a little more out of the refund process.

Everyone needs to relax. Every tax software is having this issue, just try looking with google. The government is to blame if you look at the whole timeline, with the Affordable Care Act contributing. The "instructions" to the 8960 were delayed considerably and even CPA's admit were not exact answers on how to fill out this form. Companies are trying to "interpret" these instructions, so as to not get all of us in tax trouble. Yes I'm sure you can find someone or some software to bypass this form, but watch out because you may have to redo your taxes. 

• Just received an email back from TurboTax

… I appreciate your feedback. Let me provide some background so you can form your own opinion (and I will also be responding to the posts, which we do read) as to whether WE are killing our product.

Although Form 8960 is final, the instructions are NOT. Again, the instructions for computing the form are not final. We have been told by the most senior IRS officials that the draft instructions will change. We have 5 emails from the IRS on this specific issue and all tax software providers have been given this same message. So, with the exception of one software vendor, all other software providers have NOT included Form 8960 as final. For the lone ranger out there, it is simply irresponsible to issue the form knowing that it’s computation will change. For some relying on this form, they may have to amend their return.

We are still shooting on a 2/27 release date assuming the IRS provides us final instructions soon.

I hope this information helps.

Bob Meighan
                                                VP, TurboTax
                                                Meighan, Bob <Bob_Meighan@intuit.com>
                                              • Thank you Bob for this update. It is the first credible and logical answer I have read anywhere on here. The rest of your team have not done you any favors in terms of credibility
                                              • Given how crappy the economy is, I think a lot of people need to become unemployed.
                                              • I agree with PJM.
                                              • Great. I was waiting on a form from my investment company which arrived yesterday. So, I thought I would take the day and finish up my taxes. I was through except at the very last found out about this 8960 issue. I've used Turbotax for over 15 years. I've never seen an issue like this - with no notification, no flag when you update your software saying a form or instructions weren't available.

An email in advance would have been nice, especially for some of us who are long time customers. I've invested too much time now and will just wait until the 27th. If the instructions aren't released then I am going to demand my money back and I'll use someone else.

I just tweeted Brad Smith who is the Intuit CEO.   @IntuitBrad
                                              • I did the same...we should all tweet him.
                                              • Me too. Everyone tweet Brad!
                                              • I work for a very large brokerage firm.  I will be sharing my poor experience with 15,000 financial advisors who in large part recommend tax preparation services.  Turbo Tax - wake up!
                                              • I'm in process of attempting to file through HR Block.  If successful will post here and recommend to all collegues
                                              • and clients
                                              • I don't have a problem with the delays. What I have a problem with is absolutely no notification to users. Finding out you can't file because a form is missing when you are finishing up your tax return is poor customer service.
                                              • Ditto.
                                              • Maybe "Bob" will be the one thrown under the bus and looking for work after this is "fixed".  Incompetence starts at the top (fingers crossed. . . . .).
                                              • Is the hold up on selling property?  If so, you can fix....and reduced the number of folks that you are holding back.
                                              • so I don't have any of the "magical" forms that require me to wait, yet the system still says I have to wait until 2/27 to file.  What's up with that?
                                              • Hi there - that's great news and hopefully by late tomorrow, you will be ready to go.  If you're using our TurboTax Desktop product, please check for updates late tomorrow afternoon/evening; if you are using our TurboTax Online program, the updates should be live by later tomorrow nite.  Just one more day and sounds like you will be on your way to filing.  The product teams are hard at work pushing the development changes through tonite.
                                              • I don't think you understand me:  

(1) I am using the desktop version.  
                                                (2) I don't have forms  Schedules C, E, F and K-1's and Forms 4835 and 8814 as part of my return, therefore
                                                (3) I should be able to file tomorrow according to you.  

However, the system still says I cannot file until 2/27.  I asked the system to look for any updates.  Hmmm. . . . .
                                              • ah, i see.  I will check on this personally with the product team right now - it may be related to the fact that you have Form 8960 but with no other impact.  If that is the case, the system updates tomorrow should remove that message about Form 8960. I will confirm.  Thanks for you patience.
                                              • appreciate it but do I have a choice?  Really?  I already paid for the product.  Short of me calling my credit card, telling them to dishonor the charge, paying again with another provider and then re-entering all of my information again, what choice do I have this year?  Yes, next year is a very different story.  But for now, I am an unwilling hostage.
                                              • Hoping you can just hang in there a bit longer.  I know this is frustrating.  When you receive notice that you have a Desktop update tomorrow, run the update and you should be on your way to filing. And if you run into any problems, please let me know and we'll get it straightened out.
                                              • In God we trust, all others pay cash.  Sorry, but I will believe it when I see it and the filing happens.  I think TT owes more than an apology from you or Baghdad Bob Meighan . . . a refund perhaps.  Otherwise, I am sure your competition will extend an offer for next year that makes the "hassle" of re-entering personal information quite forgiving.  just saying. . .

although, I think Bob deserves a website for all to mock him:  http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/
                                              • so now the system says I can efile on 2/22.  what gives?
                                              • Interesting - let me check that out for you - i'll get it to the Product Team asap   Where are you seeing it? Could you tell me the name of the screen?
                                              • @TurboTaxKimB - it says available to file by mail on 2/22  and available to efile on 2/22.  It does NOT say 2/21.  The screen says "We'll Help You Finish Your Taxes Soon".   Clearly your product team can't read a calendar.
                                              • @guthesq - I hear taxcut is cheaper and squeezes a little more out of the refund process.
                                              • Hmmm, I am glad the 8960 will be released on the 21st now.  Although I am suspicious of the date since it went from 20th, 27th and now 22th....Intuit has not email blast all parties involve but I have to sign in to find out....I sense they are not confident about the date.  I have tweeted their lack of decision making while other companies have already solve this matter....now, they have figured it out, finally.  I will switch next year too and join the many folks here....
                                              • TurboTaxKimB, you seem like you are actually trying, so please pass this message along to anyone who will listen over there.  I have been a loyal client of TurboTax for over 15 years, but the problems with processing my return this year are beyond acceptable.  The updates just seem to extend the date that the forms will be available without fixing the problem.  I have been stuck waiting for form 8960 for 3 weeks.  Co-workers with the same income profile have been able to submit their returns with other software or by using a CPA.  Why on earth would I put up with this again next year?  I have entrusted TurboTax with my most important financial information and I cannot be more disappointed in how you have handled my return this year.  Canned answers and continual delays are no way to treat clients who are relying on your expertise and advice in our dealings with the IRS.  My only hope is that I can actually file my return by the end of the day Feb 23.  After that I will re-enter my information with another provider.  I WILL NEVER USE YOUR SERVICE AGAIN AND I WILL TELL AS MANY PEOPLE AS I CAN ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AND RECOMMEND THAT THEY NEVER USE TURBOTAX EITHER.
                                              • Exactly
                                              • Finally got my taxes to file at the exact same amount as when I started this debacle 3 weeks ago.  This is the last year Intuit gets my money.
                                              • Glock... The decision to allow some filers to file was made based on guidance from the IRS.
                                              • @Bob -  I am throwing the BS flag.   http://www.bsflag.com/

Post the magical IRS guidance
                                              • This link seems to have the final instructions? Did I get this wrong?
                                                https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2013-28410.pdf
                                              • Kallolm, these are regulations.
                                              • They are not the instructions, but the regulations are the final authority on how interpret the law.  The instructions simply put the regulations into a more easier way for the lay person to understand the law.  The instructions can not change the anything in the regulations.  It would seem that Turbotax experts should be able to understand the regulations and have the form comply with the law. Regulations have the force and effect of law.
                                              • Agree!
                                              • I am still being told, "Your forms are not available yet ... The forms you need to complete your return(s) are not available yet. You'll be able to file as soon as the forms are ready. Please check back later."  Bummer.
                                              • They said it would be fixed tomorrow or Thursday AM.
                                              • Turbotax Kim seems to have run off.  Turbotax Bob sounds like a bobble head doll repeating the same crap over and over again.  No one at turbotax is remotely trying to be accountable.  I am sure I won't be able to file state for the discount that was available last week because the software blows.  12 years with this outfit. Last year was the 1st shaky experience.  This year has been an absolute cluster.  I spent an hour redoing taxes on Tax Act earlier today and they CAN file immediately.  Sure you saved me $50 over TaxAct, but I am going to lose that on fees.  If this garbage isnt resolved by tomorrow I am pulling the trigger and moving on.  Sure I am only one person, but I hope many will follow.  Then bobblehead bob can spend time explaining to his executive committee why intuit profits tanked whilst every other tax software company prospered.

The problem is not Turbotax but the complicated, cumbersome ACA. As Nancy Pelosi said, just pass it then we can find out what is in it. Well, form 8960 is one of the many nasty surprises in it. The IRS is the logjam on this. Turbotax is trying to avoid having us amend our returns. Same people complaining now would be complaining if they would find out down the road they have to file an amended return.

• ACA has nothing to do with Turbo Tax's problem.  The Regs are done and clear.