This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.
TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

how can i make a complaint about turbotax

I was charged the stupid processing fee to pay turbo tax from my federal return, but it was not made clear at all that i was going to be charged that fee prior to filing. Once you file, you can not go back and change your payment option so you are not chaged, so i am not out $29.99. I want to make a complaint against Tubrotax, but i dont know how. When i do the ask a question thing, it gives me the option to call, but it will only give a phone number after i have given all of my information and agree to the terms!! This is rediculous!!! I want to make a complaint, not have tax questions asked. I do not think i will us turbotax again unless they improve their customer service!

• I agree with the customer service.  I'm telling the agent at Turbo Tax that I could not find my old tax files from 2011-2013 on my computer.  I'm trying to get a Computer Tech's help to help me search for these files because there is absolutely no reason for me to delete these files and they have to be on the computer somewhere.   I told the agent it would cost $50 for each copy form the IRS for those years.  So she is looking up a way to help me and puts me on hold but it did not work. I could hear her talking in the back ground to a co-worker.   She is telling her co-worker that I am trying to get something for free!!!  NO, I want help finding my tax files. I have paid for this service for the past 4 years. Both of her supervisors could not help and would not give out any information to where I could make a formal complaint. no names, employee numbers, phone numbers not even an email address.
  • I do apologize for the attitude of the agent that is helping you.  I will be looking into this further and taking the necessary steps to correct it.  Is there anything I can do to help in the meantime?
  • Do you need my case # to do that?  reason for call was:  There has to be a way to locate and open files stored on my computer other than doing the .tax2012 search.  Under programs, on my computer I have files of data that I am unable to open.  There has to be a computer genius on payroll that could guide me through this process.  Many of these files I am unable to open because I don't have the experience and do not want to damage anything else.  Incidentally,  when opening turbo tax 2012, 2013, it asked to update these programs and I did.  I'm not sure if this had anything to do with erasing or misplacing those old files.  All I know is I have to re-input ALL my tax information and the reason I switched to TurboTax was because I could upload all my Brokerage trades instead of inputting them myself.
  • Updating shouldn't have done anything to those files.  Are you using Windows or Mac?
  • using windows 8.1
  • Have you tried the following to find your files? Your tax files (.tax) should be either in your TurboTax directory off of the Documents directory, or they are in the Documents directory.  You should also check your Temp directory.  You can do a search *.tax* to find your files.  Or try the following.

To locate your tax file, you will also need to be logged into the same Windows user account you used when you created or saved it.

If you are unsure which account you used when you created or saved your tax file, repeat the steps below for each account on your computer.
    1.Simultaneously press the Windows+F keys (or go to your Desktop and press F3).
    2.Type *.tax2014 (replace 2014 with the appropriate tax-year return you're looking for).
    3.In the search results, copy down the tax file's location or path. By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents > TurboTax folder. ? Tip: Don't double-click the tax file in the search results to open it, as this may cause errors.

4.After locating the path to the tax file on your computer, open your tax return using the same tax-year version of TurboTax (for example, open your 2012 return in the TurboTax 2012 program, not TurboTax 2011 or 2013).
  • Make sure your Windows is set to show file extensions:

Show or hide file name extensions

A file name extension is a set of characters added to the end of a file name that determine which program should open it. For more information, see File names and file name extensions: frequently asked questions.

Windows hides file name extensions, but you can choose to make them visible.

To show or hide file name extensions

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2.Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

•To show file name extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

•To hide file name extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
  • First,  thank you for your response.
     anytime i type *.tax20xx I get nothing.
      when I type windows+F3 it goes to windows screen and then back to desk top.    I've gone to ==>  
    This PC=>Local Disk (C:)=> Program Files(x86)=>TurboTax=>Premier 2011, Premier 2012, Premier 2013 all show.  after that:  typing  *.tax20xx  get no results
  • Your .tax files will not be in the program directories, they are either in the TurboTax directory off of the Documents directory, in the Documents directory, or in another directory like Temp.

Make sure you are logged into Windows under your User, make sure your file extensions are not hidden (see above comment), then do a general search *.tax* (put a star at the beginning & end).  To search move your cursor to the bottom right of your screen, when you see a bar with options, choose Search.
  • One other place to check is the Recycle Bin
  • Well,  Ive tried everything and even talked to computer tech guys and they said searching for files like this, even accidental deleted filed could take days,  even for professionals.  I've wasted enough of my time on it.  I am  just gonna have to input data at another time.   I THANK only YOU for all your help.  

the other people....well, they are the reason this will be my last year using Turbo Tax.

There should be a law against some of these practices. I was signed up for audit protection after I clearly declined the EXTRA COST and just received email welcoming me to audit protection. I called and now I have to wait up to 8 weeks for a refund. I asked how was I being charged because I didn't use a credit card and I didn't authorize them to deduct any payments except for the turbotax app. and found that they are going to deduct a payment from my return. (removed) Crooks, lairs and theives. I will never use this site again......I will diffently pass the word to beware.

• I've been on hold with this company in excess of 45 minutes.
  • 50 mins and counting
  • I don't know if you still need assistance with this issue, but I have tried to contact you directly and I am now sending you a personal email to assist further.
  • First,  thank you for your response

Hello ninap1,

I understand and apologize for your frustration.  We appreciate your patronage over the years. 
I will be happy to help you with your issue.

We do not have an official complaint channel.  We value our customer feedback and strive to make our products and service better. 

We would be happy to hear from you.  Please feel free to contact us.

By contacting us via this link we will have more information available when you call and assure that your call goes to the proper agents.  Contact us

If you are still having problems or questions please let us know.

Thank your for choosing TurboTax,

• Thank you for the response. I had figure out how to get help via- chat online, but that did not go well as the "pro" was very unprofessional and rude, so I did end up filling out my info to get the phone number. I called in and made my complaint.
  • ninap1, Thanks for your feedback. I have forwarded it on to our development team.
  • Where is the option to make a formal complaint immediately. Not only do I need help but calling at the moment with a wait time of 30 minutes only adds to my frustration of your services.
  • turbo tax has the WOOOOOOOOORRRST customer service.  i have used the online service for years and unfortunately have just experienced having a need to use the customer service.  long wait times and it seems that the people on the other ends of the line do not have the mental capacity to compute anything that you are saying
  • Jonathan - I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Did you get your question answered? I'm here to help...
  • @TurboTaxNicoleS: the $34.95 "Refund Processing Fee" that you charge AFTER I've completed my taxes and NEVER mentioned when I purchased the desktop product is deceptive. TurboTax does not explain what the fee is for or how/if it can be avoided. I have used TurboTax for over 10 years now, and will not be using it ever again because of the deception.

Similar questions other people found helpful: