How to Amend a 2013 Return in the TurboTax CD/Download Software
Amend your 2013 return if you need to make changes or corrections to the 2013 return that was already e-filed and accepted (or mailed).
But before you begin the amendment process, make sure you really need to amend.
You'll need to have the 2013 TurboTax CD/Download software installed on your system.
Before you start amending, make sure you update your software.
Once you've verified your 2013 TurboTax program has been updated to the latest release, follow these instructions to amend:
- Open the return you want to amend in your 2013 TurboTax software program.
- Make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
- If you made any changes after you filed or mailed, undo them. We suggest comparing your onscreen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
- Now, copy your return by selecting Save As (or Duplicate in Mac) from the File menu.
- You'll be amending the copy. This preserves your original return "as is," in case you mess up the amendment and need to start again.
- (Optional) Rename the amended copy (e.g., JDoeAmended, 2013 Amended Return, etc.) before you click Save.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in Home & Business), and then select Other Tax Situations.
- On the Other Tax Situations screen, scroll down to Amend a Return (it's close to the bottom) and click Start.
- Carefully follow the on-screen instructions to amend your 2013 return.
- When you get to the What do you need to change on your return? screen, click the Update button next to your particular amend situation.
- Note: Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0 and does strange things while you're amending; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
- Continue following the onscreen instructions to amend.
- When finished, TurboTax will give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.
3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.