TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

1099 under $600

I understand that employers are not REQUIRED to send a 1099 if you made less than $600. I fall under this category, but still need to report the income earned. How can I obtain a copy of the 1099 if the employer doesn't send one out?

Anybody? I also contacted the "employer" and they said because I didn't meet the $600 minimum requirement and they will not issue a 1099 so there's no copy for me to even look at. Which part of TurboTax form(s) do I need to fill out if I don't have a 1099 available? I know the exact amount I need to file.

I can't remember at which point along the process it comes, but Turbo Tax will prompt you to list any other income received that is not previously recorded by 1099, w-2, etc. That is where I add up any sub-$600 income from various companies and put it as a line item there. 

Just because people who hired you and paid you did not submit a 1099-Misc to you, you still report ALL your income. The IRS uses the 1099-Misc and 1099-K and all the other 1099 and 1098 and W2, etc, forms for Matching purposes. You still have to track and report your income. You just don't have a 1099 for it.

To report your income you should be able to fill out a 1040 EZ form, if I remember the title correctly, but you must try to keep your own records of everything. I am technically self-employed (I teach music lessons) and I make more than $600 a year but I have to document everything carefully myself so when I fill out my taxes I can be sure to be accurate. Hope that helps!

If the "employer" does not send out/prepare a Form 1099, there is no copy for you to obtain.  That's the whole point of the $600 minimum.  If you just want to see what the form looks like, here it is:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc_13.pdf

I use quotes around the word "employer" above  because if Form 1099 is used to report compensation, then the giver is representing that they are NOT an employer, but rather that the recipient was acting as an independent contractor who was paid for their work effort.

• Aren't we suppose to report all forms of income? I've tried to report it through Turbo Tax, but I get prompt with an image of a 1099 form and it asks "did you receive one of these?" I click on "NO" and it doesn't allow me to enter the amount earned. Just to put it out there, I know the exact amount I earned so I can file for it. Just need to know where and how to do it without the 1099 from the "employer"
            • I have the same problem. How do I report freelance income less than $600?
            • Under the business section, I had a place to report other business income.

Similar questions other people found helpful: